I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Scratchboard Feather

I love working with scratchboard, but it seems like a lot of people don't know what it is any more. It is a heavy paper coated with a clay-like surface with ink on top. The image is created by scratching off the ink to reveal the white surface below.

The thing I enjoy most about this technique is that it's like a treasure hunt. You have to look in the dark to bring your art to the light like digging up buried gold in a cave and bringing it into the sunshine.

I tend to do very detailed pieces with this method, but it has also been used to do very simplified wood block kinds of styles. It's a good method for reproduction and also a good method for coloring over the top of the finished piece.

This is my first attempt at blogging, and invite you to look at my website: http://www.artbyhensley.com/index.html for more samples of my work.


  1. Very nice work! I think I would like to try my hand at scratchboard. Have fun with your new blog! Mary Lou

  2. Welcome to blogland! Lovely detailed work!

  3. Fabulous work. Scratch board takes a very special eye, since you are essentially "drawing" the light areas. You've done a wonderful job.

  4. Nice! I like your scratchboard piece. Hope you continue to have fun with it!

  5. Thanks for the feedback and welcome. It's so nice to hear good things!