I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, October 12, 2012

"Water"

“Foamies” are brightly colored foam sheets with sticky backs.  They’re made by a local company who did not hire me after a completely competent interview.  “Jason” and “Tiffany” seemed more concerned that I live on the other side of Cleveland than they were about what was in my portfolio.  “Are you sure you can get to work on time with such a long drive?”  “Yes!”  In fact, I said “yes” to that 3 or 4 times, but apparently there’s a black hole in between the east and west sides which cannot be bridged by waking up earlier.  Fine.  I hate waking up early and admit a long drive is a drag, but sometimes you’ve just got to have a job-- even a job making stupid kiddie patterns with Foamies.  Oh.  Maybe my general disdain and/or desperation might’ve leaked through my perfectly poised competence in the interview?  Oops.

I bought Foamies before the interview in order to be familiar with their product and to impress them with my initiative.  Pfft.  I shoved the Foamies in my supply closet to be forgotten until I discovered them in a recent archeological dig in there for a goal I can’t remember.  Since I had recently been in the upstairs storage unearthing frames which are now scattered all over the living room, it seemed like a great time to lay on the couch and cut out colorful shapes.  It might’ve been the first time I’ve related to Henri Matisse’s cut paper period.

Now my house has messes in every room when I’m pretty sure the original goal was to clean house.  This is especially timely since I had company yesterday and plan on more tomorrow, and I’m not sure anyone I’m thinking of giving these treasures to will be as pleased about receiving them as I was about their creation.  It’s also ironic that I’ve been cutting all these colorful things when my original goal was to do a black and white Halloween series.  Ah well.  My next quest could be for my 3-D paint, which I think I may have used up, but I found stained glass paint when I was looking for the 3-D paint…

… After an undetermined time of staring at orange flowers and wondering if I could pass them off as water lilies, or maybe making a Foamie frog, then lunch, and back to pondering orange flowers, it occurred to me that what I’m actually supposed to be doing is cleaning house.  I then had grouchy thoughts about how many times housekeeping has interfered with my potential masterpieces and feeling quite self-righteous, shout “I won’t fall into that trap today!”  Besides, I think a turtle might be better than a frog, and I can never have enough turtles…

This kind of free flowing thought is exactly the sort of thing grownups try to stamp out of us when they uphold discipline and social order and enforce potty training, but precisely the stream of thought necessary for creativity.  We should all paddle in that canoe and forget what the grownups want.  The relative cleanliness of my house isn’t as important as a Foamie turtle.

16 comments:

  1. "The relative cleanliness of my house isn’t as important as a Foamie turtle." I second that thought. Traps are everywhere. Don't grow up it's a trap. (Jason and Tiffany lose.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rand, though it's entirely possible that Jason and Tiffany made the right decision even though I wasn't happy with them at the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pieces Linda, I love their bright colours. I have often seem foamy sheets in the craft shops and looked past them. How could I know what an artist like yourself could do with them! Amazing! I'm with you and I have absolutely no intention of growing up, I'm having far too much fun ;0)
    Enjoy the weekend,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My but you are prolific and art-ful today, Linda! I bet you were a powerhouse of creativity at Hallmark (I think it was), where there was no house to stay on top of? Whenever I get into this creativity vs 'responsibility' struggle (frequently), I remember my Mom (never the Queen of Domesticity) saying (when chastised about her very, very messy house and kitchen), "I just want to LIVE!" She never changed, and now it's the staff at the assisted living residence who bug her...
    Remember, it's not the neat houses that are left behind for future civilizations to dig up...it's the art-ifacts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I've done the foamies thing! At my kids' classroom parties. I think this product is quite big with school teachers. Their projects couldn't hold a candle to your creations, though.

    "Now my house has messes in every room when I’m pretty sure the original goal was to clean house" I hear ya on that one. It's the thought that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that the house didn't get cleaned much over the weekend, but it isn't a health risk either. I used my tv time a few evenings, so these pieces didn't all happen on the same day. The piece with the shading actually took quite a while, but I like the effect and might do more with that idea. Thanks for the comments everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the word foamie. And such colorful art this week. You definitely had Dawn dish detergent on the brain. (all those bright colors) And foam...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these foamies! :) They made me smile on such a rainy day here! Oh, you did remind me that I need to clean my house, too! Ugh! I just thought by now, we would be living like the "Jetsons" Where is that housekeeper robot, when you need it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you find out where to get one of those Jetson robots, let me know! And why do adult art supplies and things have to be so serious? Everybody should spend some time with Foamies or Play Doh or something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh, I'm blown away by what you did with "foamies!" I've walked past them many a time, & apparently failed to see their potential! I had to laugh while reading your post. On days when I really WANT or NEED to get some artwork done, I find myself procrastinating by doing housework!!! I really don't understand it - once I get going on a project there is nothing I'd rather do. Its just the getting-going-part that is difficult for me....I think of all the wonderful projects that never came to be in favor of a squeaky clean toilet....sigh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I have a hard time getting started too, but I'm always happy when I do art instead of housekeeping. Keep drawing Mit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since my house sounds very much like yours, each strata representing an exploration of a new technique or place, I'm with you. Except for potty training. Maybe. Love all the patterns and colours, the mayhem and order so musically balanced. And when you're done with the bright colours, if you roll over the raised portions with one colour or another, you can use them to print with. If the backing holds. If you use water based inks, perhaps the colours can be resuscitated afterward. Or not. This is good to ponder while vacuuming. Well, once a month or so. After all, complete squalor can hinder creativity too. Ask me how I know...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that idea of using Foamies to make prints. Woo hoo! New ideas! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. The word "foamie" interspersed throughout was enough to tickle me. And added to that, "Ja-son and Tif-fa-ny"... lol ...not that there is anything wrong with those names, but the context in which you mentioned them, caused me to laugh even more.

    Keep pounding the pavement. Maybe there's a "Frank and Nancy" out there who need talent 'and' maturity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Anita! Glad I could do anything that makes you smile :)

    ReplyDelete