I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, February 6, 2016

"Mystery"

Sharon commented on my last post that I "remember every detail" of my childhood, which is ironic since I've spent a lot of this week sifting through the mystery of my brain and questioning a lot of what I've been finding in there, especially the gaps.

Becky died of cancer this week.  In a tiny, secluded neighborhood with very few children, she was the girl closest to my age.  I cried when I heard she'd died, and cried more as additional memories of the things we did together surfaced.  Little moments shared, but they were mostly quiet moments, and too easily forgotten.

Becky was the nicest girl you could meet.  I called her Becky Thatcher while I identified to Huckleberry Finn.  She laughed and liked the comparison.  She laughed a lot.  She didn't have the slightest interest in acting out with me.  She didn't understand my competitive nature with board games, and didn't want to play Tarzan by swinging on grape vines.

I couldn't get her to climb the cliff, but she went to the Great Wall of China?!
The image I have of myself as a child is as quiet and bookish, but Becky made me look like an extraverted rabble rouser.  Memories of pointless urging to get her to take risks causes me to notice that I took a lot of them.  "Let's climb the cliff!"  "Why?"  "To see if we can!"  "There's nothing up there."  "But it's 'there' instead of 'here'!"  She shook her head and went home because she refused to witness blood spilling.  She was far more sensible than me.  She was nicer.  Better?  Maybe just different?

We waited at the bus stop for 11 years together.  We rode the bus to school both ways together every single day.  We breathed on the cold windows and made handprints and pictures in the condensation together.  She's part of my DNA, and I feel like I took that so much for granted that now it's like examining a wash cloth for my missing skin cells.

It's been a while since we'd seen each other.  The last time she was with her mom at the outdoor market and I was with mine.  As the moms made polite conversation, she seemed glad to see me, friendly... and we parted ways with smiles and waves never to see each other again.  It's inexplicable to me.  53 years old and no more.

My sister has told me not to keep my "death list".  It's a sorry, sorry path I travel each time one of my peers in the Glen dies, and I've really got to stop it -- but I won't.  Remembering Becky, Donna, Melanie, Barb, Kenny, Timmy, Andy, Earl, even Vaughn is a way to make their lives still current and fool myself that our lives matter.

The more Becky memories that I drag out of my subconscious, the sadder I am to have lost her -- with a pile of regrets that we didn't make more of an effort to keep up with each other than our occasional adult accidental meetings.

Becky, I loved you so completely that there wasn't an outside edge of it for me to notice that it even existed.  It's like noticing where air stops.  A part of you will always be with me.  Thank you.  And for everyone else who loved her, you have my deepest sympathies.  We're all better for having known her.

12 comments:

  1. Such a sweet tribute to your friend, Linda. I am so sorry for the loss and the shortness of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so very sad Linda. She was obviously one of life's good eggs. May she rest in peace xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a good one. Why can't we keep the good ones in exchange for the bad ones?

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the introduction to a beautiful person. I'm glad you remember people who have died--though I can't say I like the sound of "death list." How about a life list? A list that encompasses both gratitude and sorrow? I'm sorry for your sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Maybe when I get through the sorrow I can quit thinking about what I've lost and just focus on what I was lucky to have. (I'm flip flopping between those opposing emotions.)

      Delete
  4. Becky sounds like a beautiful soul. What a loss, and so young. Sorry you lost such an important part of your DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to put it, she was a beautiful soul. Thanks for the good thoughts.

      Delete
  5. So very, very sorry! Childhood friendships help mold us into who we are today! She sounds like she brought balance to your life during those formative years. The yin to your yang (or vice versa!) While you went on to lead separate lives, I am sure it would warm her heart to know your friendship meant that much. Again, very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mit! She at least tried to yin or yang me? Probably caused me to bleed a little less at any rate :)

      Delete
  6. I just popped over from Anita's blog to check yours out and then read this really sad post about your friend Becky. I'm so sorry, and she was so young to die too. What a beautiful tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! She'll always live in my memory, and may we all be so lucky to have people like this in our lives.

      Delete