I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, November 17, 2017

"Skill"

Nobody is born a "master" at anything.  Child prodigies aren't born with skills.  The child sits in front of a piano, loves plinking at the keys, and continues to plink until the noise becomes music.  They're praised, and they plink a lot more.  Maybe the kid was born into a musical family, maybe a parent teaches them some things.  A prodigy develops over time in a fertile environment.  So too with art and any other pursuit that requires skill, even if most of us won't be child prodigies and learn our skills as adults.

I've been in the archives this week.  I'm working on another painting and was looking for reference materials.  In the hunt, I discovered these rare, preschool drawings.  To my knowledge, these are the only evidence of my early art efforts until I started saving my drawings many years later.  I can only wonder about my concepts of anatomy back then, or what was going on around me to inspire love and hate.

I tend to think art is an inheritable tendency.  I'm from an artistic family, and because they're artistic, my parents encouraged me.  I suppose they probably also appreciated the fact that art is a quiet activity and easier for adults to be around?  But, I started out like every other kid with a crayon.  I looked at my world and tried to copy my vision of it.  I got better at doing that over time.  I enjoyed doing it, so I did more of it.  I was competitive enough to want to do it better than my peers.  I wanted praise.  Eventually, I got to the point where I developed some real skills.  I studied and acquired more skills.

Now, it seems like the world doesn't care about those skills that I've spent so many hours accumulating.  The painting I'm working on could be accomplished much faster, and more technically perfect, on the computer.  I've been giving some thought to the practical stupidity of spending so much time on things that aren't going to pay the bills.

And I don't care.

It might be the first time in decades that I don't care.  I'm painting for me.  I'm working through personal issues with paint and feeling a pleasure that I haven't felt for a very long time -- and kind of stumbling into an awareness that this kind of painting is far more important than all the BS I did as an illustrator/graphic designer through the years.

It would be nice to get money for these paintings, but the paintings are more important to me than the bucks.  Of course this is only true because I still have enough money to keep the lights on.  Life would be so much easier if I had a trust fund or a patron.  (If you didn't see the other painting, you can see it here.)

This is just a part of the unfinished painting.  At the moment, it's a mostly empty box which I'm going to fill up with things.  I'm having some trouble planning out how to make things fit inside, but even that problem is a pleasure at the moment.  One thing is for sure though, this painting will go much faster than the last one!

9 comments:

  1. Your new painting is looking great Linda and I'm so glad you are creating for your pleasure.I loved your pre school drawings...child drawings are awesome...I love seeing what Daisy comes up with. There are no artists in our family, just a love of creativity. To me having a creative side makes the world a better place. Enjoy your weekend and filling that box xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy seeing Daisy's creations too, especially seeing her concentration while creating :) It seems to me that you are an artist, you're just using a different medium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The objects you are going to 'store' in the box don't have to be relationally correct in their size. A horse can be smaller than a pen if the horse was less emotionally prioritized than a pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your comment yesterday, then got called away before I could respond -- and have been thinking about what you said since. It's a good point and I'm contemplating how to or whether to follow your advice, if not in this painting, then in another. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. How fun to see your preschool drawings! I do think our interests are "ours" from a very early age. My family was not particularly artistic, but they never told me not to be and it's what I enjoyed doing in my spare time.

    I'm glad that you're painting for the joy it brings you. I love the detail in your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would be interesting to find out how many people were encouraged to art when they were little vs. natural interest?

      Delete
  5. I wish I WAS MORE INSPIRED TO PAINT JUST FOR ME. Sorry about the caps. Oops. I am working on a new map. And still editing! That should be in caps. I'll have to email you with the latest. Boy, I loved to draw as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes life requires caps. Good luck with your map!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing is more important for any creative person that being able to create for his or her own joy. Yes, we do need to survive, but if we make art in order to survive, the art won't. I admire your determination to keep at it. By the way, your reflections on skills, goes much in the same direction as my latest blog post. :-)

    ReplyDelete