I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, February 15, 2019

"Electronic"


When I was about 5 or 6 I wondered about electricity.  There were outlets around the house and I didn't understand the magic behind them.  I literally mean behind them because obviously something mysterious was going on behind the wall I couldn't see.  The outlets provided an inlet into hidden magic, but I had a sense that there was something dangerous about it.  This was a very vague danger to me other than I felt pretty certain I'd get in trouble if I stuck something into the outlet hole.

Bro1 happened to come by while I was contemplating this mystery, providing an opportunity.  While I might get in trouble for playing with the outlet, Bro1 never got in trouble for anything.  "C'mere!  Let's see what happens when you stick this darning needle in that hole!"  No sooner than the thought was expressed he committed the deed -- and got blown across the room.  Cool.  It still didn't explain electricity, but at least it gave a definition of "danger".  And yes, I got in trouble even though I wasn't the one who stuck the needle in.  My parents didn't appreciate the technicalities of the offense.

I don't think Bro1 was all that harmed by the experience, but you never know.  It might explain some things?  Besides, he was perfectly able to come up with his own ill-conceived ideas.  Even so, I feel a little regret.  Not too much, but a little.

Come to think of it, I think Sis2 planted the idea in my mind.  Seems to me she should've been the one to get in trouble for instigating, and to carry the regret too.  Where's the justice?!

Ah yes, childhood, where curiosity is discouraged outside of the approved limitations.  It's like another time when I improved our shampoo.  Mom bought 2 kinds, both in economy sizes.  Dandruff shampoo and the other kind.  I figured it would be better to mix both kinds together to eliminate dandruff for everybody.  The clear brown shampoo turned a murky sludge color while the dandruff shampoo looked kind of moldy pea soup.

Mom flipped out so I wasn't going to admit I did it.  Punishments for everybody.  I didn't feel guilty though since my siblings often caused unmerited punishments for me too.  If anything, I thought I should've been rewarded for improving shampoo.  Mom was clearly stifling my creativity and scientific curiosity, but I'm starting to think that it's just as well that I wasn't interested in electronics.  I might've burned down the house or at least destroyed some things -- which is now reminding me of my fascination with matches.  Yeah, just as well I didn't play with electric things anymore... though now I'm remembering getting into the back of the TV and messing with the tubes...


In current events, I made lime meringue pies this week.  The recipe seemed simple.  I was deceived.  It was a mess.  I made it harder by whisking the egg whites by hand and learned you a very big bowl to whisk eggs.  It also took about 20 minutes of arm-numbing whisking.  Cooking the egg yolk mixture required more whisking.  I think my favorite electronic thing this week is an electric blender.

I shared pie with Bro2 and we agree, pie is delicious.  Meringue is spectacular, and not to be confused with white foam at a restaurant.  My strenuous whisking made floating clouds of delicate pleasure.  Mmmm!!!


11 comments:

  1. Hilarious post! I'm glad the pie tasted delicious after all that whisking. It sure looks good. I made homemade cinnamon rolls for Valentine's day. I'm always baking something. I probably would have had more career success has a baker. But that sounds like work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I seldom bake so the pies were extra special in my house. I'll bet your cinnamon rolls were fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story reminded me of one of Geof's childhood misadventures. He cut the cord from his mom's favorite lamp, plugged it in and tried to "re-charge" a batttery with the two parts of wire. It flew across the room (not unlike your brother) and nearly started a fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the youthful Geof stories! John and I told Tim some of them at KK yesterday :D

      Delete
  4. OMGoodness I can just see your bro flying across the room...I what a thing to do...I can remember my bro telling me to put a battery on my tongue and yes it wasn't pleasant. The joys of childhood but no one died! Your pie looks really delicious, yes please to a slice! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about licking batteries, but I'd have done it too. I guess we can thank our siblings for adding to the stories we have to tell! I'd love to sit down with a slice of pie with you Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your illustration, once again. As I read your post, I thought it looked like whimsical charred remains as a result of what you did to Bro1?
    Your meringue is impressive too! Hand-whisked, no less - no electricity required!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Bro wasn't really "charred". Maybe a tad scorched though. Is it wrong that I'm still laughing about the adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading about you childhood adventures, I wonder if you ever felt that the blame could be yours?... But I am sure you unfairly got the blame many a time. Unfortunately, most parents live and practice upbringing under the spell of "curiosity killed the cat". On a different note, the meringue pie looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly, the pie is gone. I'm tempted to make another one. My dad used to warn me about the cat's curiosity but I reminded him that cats have 9 lives :)

    ReplyDelete