I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, July 7, 2019

"Electricity"


Back in the early days of electricity, my grandma's small town had a community refrigerator.  Each family contributed to its purchase, and each had a designated area in a chilled room which was the size of a small store.  This fascinates me.  Can you imagine leaving your supper someplace where anyone could touch it, take it, sneeze on it?  I imagine everyone was considerate and cooperative.  Those people knew how to work together and helped each other in a million different ways.  Some people fantasize about living in a castle, I think about the community refrigerator.

I obviously don't want to sacrifice my personal fridge to walk to a store for my food every day.  I just want to experience a gentler time when people are nicer.  Maybe I'm dreaming as much as the people who want to be Cleopatra in a past life.  Maybe people have been and always will be a combination of saints and psychopaths, but I bet they at least acted nice if they needed help to raise a barn?

I was instructed to create a 70s kitchen for this illustration in "Mensa Bulletin" magazine (which printed in the same article with the boy I posted a couple of weeks ago).  This isn't the kitchen I grew up with.  Our kitchen was from the 50s or before.  I aspired to a 70s kitchen.  I wanted a Harvest Gold side by side refrigerator with ice cube and water dispensers in the door, but the multi-generational wisdom of my family is all appliances should be white.  White is always in style, goes with everything, cleans easily, and matches replacement appliances.  This is ultimately sensible and kind of boring.  I admired my friends' colorful kitchens.  I wanted to be in style too.

Suddenly, Harvest Gold was out.  Eyes were rolled when anyone saw it.  So passé!  How long are you going to keep that?!  Something significant clunked in my mind.  If the refrigerator is still good, why replace it?  Because some nameless person decreed you had to spend money?  And it wasn't just the appliances, you had to buy new clothes too, and probably a car.  Throw out everything you own and get new stuff that looks exactly like everyone else's new stuff!  Conform!

Except for a wild college moment when I painted my rusty refrigerator with school bus yellow Rust-Oleum, all my appliances have been white.  Maybe boring practicality is in my DNA.  I still get ice from a tray and water from the tap.  I don't want a Harvest Gold anything.  Certainly not an orange countertop.

Grandma said ignore popular styles.  Buy classics of quality.  They last forever and you'll always look right.  Excellent advice.  A little boring like the white appliances, but very sensible on a budget.  She said the key was to accessorize and dazzle with a sparkling personality.  She was a very smart woman.

Maybe part of her wisdom came from growing up with a communal refrigerator where it was bad taste to show off?  Neighbors had to get along.  If someone else was having a hard time, give them a hand.  Grandma kept her values when she moved to the big city of Akron, Ohio and was happy hobos marked her sidewalk during The Great Depression indicating she'd give them something good to eat.

Grandpa thankfully had a solid job, but maybe Grandma could afford to hand out sandwiches because she didn't follow fashions?

8 comments:

  1. Great musings, Linda. I like your grandmother's life and I think we have to return to our grand-parental societies and wisdom. We have become too individualistic and therefore too polluting and consuming. Ecological and environmental concerns will bring us together again because we can't individually deal with big things like plastic soup and climate change. If a communal fridge brings down our energy bills considerably we will get together, and if a field with solar energy saves us money, and should we need to protect ourselves against rising water levels, we will, but only together.
    I read your post with pleasure, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! If only we could get everyone else to agree to all of this. Just getting them to notice being considerate to others improves their own lives seems like a dream these days, but I maintain hope for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my previous homes was built in 1972 and had an all Harvest Gold bathroom. The tub, toilet and tiles were all gold and some of the tiles had little wheat sprigs on them. It was in perfect condition so I wasn't about to remodel. I learned to love it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those little wheat sprigs :D You've got the right attitude. Love what you have and be happy!

      Delete
  4. I still make ice in a tray too. We don't have enough water pressure from the basement to use an icemaker. Yes, our farm house had old, white appliances too. When we sold the farmhouse, the freezer still worked. Someday, I'll have an icemaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to put in an icemaker and someone told me about bacteria getting in the hose. I decided I'd stick with the trays :)

      Delete
  5. I think you grandmother was very wise. Classic never goes out of style. And I think we need more community fridges these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish everyone was lucky enough to have a wise grandmother!

      Delete