I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, November 22, 2020

"Stairs", #inktober52, #inktober

 

Seriously, I’ve tried writing a post for weeks.  I just couldn't keep my concentration through a whole page of typing because I have acquired a puppy who NEEDS my full attention all the time – except of course when she’s getting in trouble.

My blog silence actually started with stairs.  The deck steps were bad and I replaced them with the invaluable assistance of a friend and Bro3.  My helpful friend pointed out other things I needed to fix.  Bro loaned me a ladder with a stern directive to clean gutters.  I caulked, mortared, painted, stained… I can’t even remember all the things I did.  What I know for sure is that I was tired at the end of every day and didn’t feel like writing.  I was also so stressed about the US election that I couldn’t think straight or say nice things in a post.  Thank God we can put that stress behind us, as long as the current president doesn’t blow up the world before January 20, 2021.  Thanks to everyone who voted for that happy outcome!

I grieved when my last dog died about a year ago.  I didn’t start looking for a new companion right away, and then everything shut down because of Covid.  I searched rescue websites for months before I saw my new baby at Rescue Village in Geauga County, Ohio.  She is currently about 14 pounds and about 5-6 months old of every breed in the rainbow.  Great!  I love mutts.  The vet suggested she might be part whippet and said Pup will probably be about 25 pounds as an adult which is plenty big enough.  She’s a soft, cuddly, wiggling delight who is lovely in every possible way.  In case you can’t tell, I adore her.  Life feels good and normal because I have a puppy.  She runs up and down the deck stairs many times in a day and I’m glad I fixed them. 

I wanted to write a gushing post about her since I got her, but I’ll admit she’s tired me out.  We walk miles every day and my knee is killing me.  She’s made friends at the park and learned some basics.  She was housebroken in a day, walked nicely on the leash in another day, sits, and lets go of things on command.  She definitely gets “NOOOO!!!!”, but that doesn’t stop her from doing a bad behavior again behind my back.  We play fetch and she helps me pick up sticks in the yard.  Our next lesson is “SHHH!!!!”  She has a bark that can shatter steel 3 miles away and she uses it to alert the world to squirrels or to her abandonment.  She’s also learned she can use her voice to boss me around because I run to shut her up before someone calls the police on us.

I’m sure she was neglected and pretty sure she was abused before me.  The rescue people told me she had lived her short life in a kennel and “knows nothing!”  That last bit definitely proved true.  I saw her reaction the first time she saw grass.  It’s hard to imagine, sad, but a delight at the same time.  She discovered dried up dandelions and loves to make them explode.  She chews on my fennel and oregano in the garden and has the freshest dog breath.  I take her to the woods or river and everything is new and wonderful.  Every person or dog is a new friend.  Except, there was one guy.  She was afraid of him, and it occurred to me he was the guy I called the cops about last year for hiding in the woods to watch high school girls.  I have a smart dog.

She's mistrustful and uncooperative with picture taking

She had some absolute meltdowns when I first got her.  It was more than a cry for attention.  She actually sobbed in my arms when I left her for a few hours.  She cried in her sleep and I stroked her and said it was alright, the bad days are over.  The longer I have her, the fewer bad dreams she has, but she still gets upset if I have to go out without her.  Now she has dreams about the park and playing with the neighbor boys too.  I always wonder about the idiots who think dogs don’t have feelings.  Of course they do! 

The drawing above is the only thing I’ve drawn lately, and that was using my sleeping pup’s back for an easel.  It’s also hard to type with a warm puppy on my lap, forcing me to stretch to the keyboard to type with one finger, and she makes me take play breaks, but really, I’ll make an effort to post more often.

Wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving!  Stay safe and healthy!

10 comments:

  1. Awwww Linda what a wonderful post. I'm so pleased you have your gorgeous new pup. She is so lucky to have you and the new life you offer her. It was lovely to see you over on my blog today. Stay well and safe, have a peaceful Thanksgiving and upcoming festive season. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! I'm feeling lucky to have her too. I hope you're able to have the holiday season that you want despite restrictions for Covid. Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new puppy! She's adorable! She sounds wonderful, and I"m sure she's a handful now. She must be thrilled to have you.
    Welcome back, you've been missed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! She's 2 handfuls at the moment, but we're making progress towards a better life together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy thanksgiving to you and yours... long time didn't visit your blog....

    # your puppy looks so cute...love colors combine..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely new post, Linda. I hate animal abuse and neglect. May those guilty of that reincarnate as an animal and learn a lesson or two. Congrats with your adorable dog and with your new president! Life is okay again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you found love again! Pets are better than people. Unconditional love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations with your new family member. She looks gorgeous. I bet she is a handful, at least at times. Time has passed since you wrote this post, and the prospects look even better these days, except for the Congress disruption last week. Wish you and your puppy and great 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda! Adorable puppy, and how wonderful you found each other. I don't know if you'll be coming back to this blog but if you're like me, eventually yes. Sporadically, yes. I hope you're managing ok in these strange times, and the grown up puppy is slightly better behaved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for teaching us so much with your blog

    ReplyDelete