I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

"Fearless"














The obvious answer to this week's IF challenge is Joan of Arc facing the Burgundians, but I started to think about fearless people I've known in real life. People who aren't here any more because just like Joan, they didn't have a healthy sense of fear. People who died too young. Jewish people put a stone on a grave a year after a funeral. It hasn't been quite a year, but it's time for me to put a stone on Andy's grave.

I don't remember meeting Andy. He was just always there, always a friend to my youngest brothers. He laughed, he smiled, he went for things with such full force that I just had to smile and laugh with him.

When he was older, he stopped by my house once in a while. If he was hungry, I fed him. If he was tired, he crashed on my porch swing. When I had a car I didn't know how to fix, I gave it to him. Sometimes he'd show me his sketchbook and ask for feedback. He had talent, and I wish I had one of his drawings to remember him by. He found comfort at my house when he needed it, and my heart was happy when he came.

In a way, I always knew we were alike, but I never bothered to find out why. When his obit was published, I found we shared the same birthday. Maybe that's why we could spend a quiet afternoon together without talking. Just being around each other was enough. We appreciated each other in a way we didn't want to talk about, but at the same time, we knew each other's hurts. We were a safe place for each other, and even if he didn't come over very often, my door was always open for him.

He died as a daredevil on an ATV at night. Somehow, it seems fitting that he died going all out, but I'm still dealing with the shock of losing him so young.

It hasn't been a year yet, and I'm not Jewish, but I'll borrow their tradition because I feel a need to put a stone on Andy's grave. He was buried in a beautiful place overlooking the river we both loved. Maybe everyone else will post pictures of heroes this week, but I'm lost in thoughts of "fearless", reckless, and loss.

The drawing is in pastels with some fiddling in PhotoShop. It's been a long time since I've used pastels, but chalk just seems appropriate for a life so quickly swept away.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/06/28/obituaries/nh1095903.txt

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, a powerful tribute. And those stones (ever since Schindler's List) seem to be strong, earth bound reminders of powerful connections/foundations.
    Joan of Arc didn't seem all THAT obvious a response to "fearless"... as evidenced by my illo. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture and story. Yes, obviously St. Joan didn't immediately come to mind for me either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great story and terrific illustration to accompany it. Nice work Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, maybe I'm the only one who thought Joan of Arc was obvious? Lesson learned: don't assume I know what other people think :) Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful illustration and very touching story. RIP, Andy.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I like seeing what other artists are doing, and we can all use support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, with your story, you gave me a chill down my spine and made the hairs on my neck stand out - so you reached out and touched me - which is good

    thanks for sharing, it's very poignant

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm touched to be able to touch others, and happy to let other people know about a good guy. This posting was catharsis for me. I'm so glad others got something from it too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete