I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, September 25, 2015

"Prize"

I thought I'd have my floor finished by now.  The only thing left was the center, and how hard could that be?  Of course it might be easier if I knew what's going in that center, but I've been enjoying the process of discovery.

It would also help if I didn't get very complicated ideas like an astrological wheel -- but a subtle wheel, because I didn't feel like making my floor all about that.  This turned into days of math and fussing, for what's basically a 1 3/8" wide ring that hugs the inside of the brick circle -- which still leaves me to ponder what goes inside of that.

This eternal calendar gave me the chance to write the names of important people's birthdays.  I won't say this will motivate me to actually give birthday gifts, or give them on time, but it improves the odds.

I noticed trends in the birthdays of people who've made a difference in my life, either for good or bad.  I'm going to look for more Virgos because they are consistently nice to me.  Grandma was a Virgo, and Grandma love is right up there with dog love in unconditional and forever.

Things would move along quicker on the center of the floor if I quit taking time out to add more animals to the outside leaves.  I keep telling myself that I'm done with that part, but then I think maybe another dragonfly?  Maybe more flowers?

My dog thinks that all of this has gone on long enough.  She paces back and forth in front of me and nags.  Soon.  We're almost there.  Really, how long can it take to paint the inside 4' center?

Then I sit on my stool and ponder, which really annoys my puppy.  Why can't we take a walk or curl up with a book?  I've been giving her dog cookies to shut her up.  She's standing in the way of my creativity and self-expression.

I won a gift certificate once for entering a story in a contest.  That $25 validation probably made it possible for me to blog because I was bunched up in a million different ways about writing.  Letting my words out into the world was hard, especially since the story was about grieving the death of someone who mattered to me.  I unexpectedly had to face another fear when I had to read the story out loud to a group.

I wrote about the same kinds of things that are now living on my floor because nature is my center.  When the snow falls, I'll have summer in my dining room.  I'll have visual cues to remind me of happy times and help chase away winter blues.  I'll see the names of important people in my life and remember that loving and being loved is the greatest prize of all.

8 comments:

  1. Linda , it's so beautiful!!!
    I was trying to think what you could put inside it and for some reason i thought water inside the bricks, like a giant circle/pond reflecting the moon and stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought by doing that it would speak to the cycle of things, the floor reflecting the sky. in water would also be nature themed. Maybe sun and clouds? and little fish swimming

      Delete
    2. I like your ideas, but I've got my plan for the center now. Maybe I can add some of what you suggested into it. Thanks! If all goes well, I'll show you next week.

      Delete
  2. This is such a wonderful piece of art Linda. Perpetual summer in your dining room sounds perfect, can I join you sometimes? I think one simple word in the centre...vita or life sums everything up. Sending sunshine from my holiday in Rhodes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful piece of art Linda. Perpetual summer in your dining room sounds perfect, can I join you sometimes? I think one simple word in the centre...vita or life sums everything up. Sending sunshine from my holiday in Rhodes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Jane, c'mon over! I was actually thinking a sun in the middle for a while, but then I got another idea that seems as hard as the astrology wheel. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. "loving and being loved is the greatest prize of all." Beautiful. I love both your art and your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! Sometimes we have to remember the stuff that reall counts :)

      Delete