I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, November 18, 2018

"Music"

Sometimes I wish I had a smaller yard.  I've been raking leaves in between bouts of snow.  It hasn't been enough snow to count, but enough to convince me that leaf raking can be put off for another day (like in April).  I listen to the swish, swish, swish of the rake through the leaves and think of this little story about snow in China by Jim Croce.

Anthony Arya recently sang Croce's "Operator" on the singing competition show "The Voice", which you can see here.  He's a cute boy, and he sang it well even though he didn't even know what an operator was and I just don't believe his heart has ever been broken.  Somehow the song isn't the same without the heartbreak.

Jim Croce is one of my favorite go to musicians when I'm feeling blue.  "Photographs and memories... all that I have are these to remember you."  At some point the longing and romanticism gets replaced by P!nk on youtube "You weren't there, you never were" and I quit feeling nostalgic and think about Chinese people sweeping snow.

Arya's heart will probably get broken eventually.  I'm not wishing it on him, but  I often think the best artists (and other professions) have interesting and/or painful back stories which create a need for these people to express or prove themselves.  I want a peaceful world, but I suspect it would be beige and boring.  Maybe I'm just looking for a point behind the world's miseries, but this explanation gives me peace so I'm sticking with it unless someone can give a better reason.

Use what you're given.  If your heart is broken, sing a song with tears and a crack in your voice.  It may seem less perfect, but the cracked song touches the hearts of the people who hear it, and it seems like that's the point of all art.  If you're young and innocent, sing innocent songs.  There's a song for every emotion in the rainbow, but the classics are classic because they speak to emotions.  There's comfort in knowing someone else understands how you're feeling.

I painted this portrait of Robert Smith as part of a larger assignment.  I'll admit I didn't even recognize his name at first.  I dutifully looked him up and liked his wild hair.  I'm sure I've listened to The Cure, I even suspect it's one of my ex's favorite bands, but I don't usually pay much attention to who is singing, just what they're singing...

"There was nothing in the world that I ever wanted more than to never feel the breaking apart all my pictures of you."

Hmm... I wonder if Robert and Jim Croce could've cried in their beers together and felt their common humanity?  Maybe they'd just like to talk about Chinese people sweeping snow?

I was going to end this by saying it was time to rake some leaves, but it's raining now.  Maybe I'll spend more time listening to music on youtube because April definitely seems like the best time for raking?

6 comments:

  1. In reading this post I was struck by a line from “Bookends” ... Preserve your memories, they are all that’s left to you.
    https://g.co/kgs/tLUQPv
    The weather has kept me from finishing leaves; perhaps when the ground finally freezes I will be able to bring lawn tractor out for one last pass over leaves. If I’d tried sooner, I would have been left with a pasture ornament; such is the muck that has trapped both tractor and truck. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty song. Thanks! I did one tarp load of leaves in the rain today. Maybe I'll get some of them up before April?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that pain and sadness can make for some good art :). When Sam Smith raked in all those grammys, I think he thanked his ex in his acceptance speech.
    Happy raking. If only it were an Olympic event, I might have a shot at fame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for Sam Smith! I'll work on my gratitude :) I've been urged to leave the leaves to enrich the soil, which is only encouraging my reluctance to rake them. Chuckling at the thought of raking as an Olympic event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who wants to go out and rake leaves when it's raining? However, you raise an interesting question that has always been associated with good artists: Is it necessary to suffer? I am not sure, myself. Obviously if you want to sing about broken hearts, you need to have experienced it. But I think any artist who can express what his or her heart feels, whether it's suffering or joy, will be able to touch others. Saying this much, I have to admit I don't know Jim Croce. But I do know The Cure and Robert Smith, as they are one of my favourite bands..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll admit to raking far fewer leaves than I intended this past week. Maybe I'll do some in the week to come? I think you expressed emotions better, "whether suffering or joy". There's room for all of us to savor every emotion.

    ReplyDelete