I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, November 24, 2018

"Soccer"

I used to take my little brothers to soccer practice.  Kids ran down the field one direction, then ran in the other direction.  Back and forth, back and forth.  Sometimes it rained.  I didn't see why I should be punished for sports, especially for something as inconsequential as soccer.  It wasn't like it was something important.

I tried to be supportive since Bros wanted to play, but I suspect my priorities leaked into their priorities.  They can swim like fish because that's an important life skill.  Soccer?  I doubt they've played it since they were 10.  Of course it would be fine if they did want to play.  Healthy exercise outside is always good, but sports are just games.

Sometimes I feel like the only one in the world who could care less about sports.  Once in a while I pay attention because our team is in the playoffs or won the title and I have to look happy for the fans around me.  I'm happy they're happy, but c'mon everybody!  None of it matters!  (I'm now feeling like ducking because people will start throwing soccer balls at me, and I don't even know if Cleveland has a team.)

Maybe I get too serious?  There has to be more to life than work and obligations.  Maybe games matter?  I remember an afternoon spent with my sisters kicking a ball around after Dad told us about soccer.  It was a fun afternoon.  I wonder if I could get them to play again sometime?  Maybe we'd have an important sister bonding moment?

"All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy."  It also leaches the life out of your creative pursuits.  You've got to play around with things to discover new things and express yourself in interesting ways.

For instance, I was substitute teaching in an art class when I looked at the waste basket.  Kids had thrown away aborted attempts at things, but the mat board they had done them on was still mostly good.  I had a free period and used up their discards in creative play.  That 45 minutes or so sent my art in a new direction for a while, and still turns up in my current work.  It was also just as possible that I would've made messes on stuff they'd already thrown away, but you don't know until you try.

I think a lot of us quit before we start because we don't know whether or not something will turn out.  Think back to kindergarten when you drew and colored and pasted without those kinds of worries.  It was fun.  You liked to do it.  When did you lose that sense of play?  Why?

I've been thinking of my 20s lately.  It was a period of time when I got down to the serious business of being an adult and left too many of my games behind.  I think of my boyfriend's sour looks when I was being silly and blame him for being a sourpuss -- but I also fault myself for buying into his control.  Lesson learned and not to be repeated.

Play is good.  It's necessary.  It makes everything in life worth experiencing.  I'm not convinced soccer is essential, but you get the idea.  Well, soccer isn't necessary to me, but if soccer is your fun, it's vital.

What's your favorite way to play?

11 comments:

  1. I agree Linda...a case of horses for courses as we say here! I think that sport harness that inner energy that is often busting out of kids and keep parents from pulling their hair out!! Football is a big thing here in the UK and most of my menfolk still love to watch it but I would rather watch paint dry...literally! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally spent time watching paint dry just yesterday :) Yay for us who understand that pleasure!

      Delete
  2. Love your soccer ball!
    I think sports are good in that they give us a way to release our competitive spirits - if not for sports, more wars?
    I enjoy playing some sports, but don't care to spectate or take part in (endless!) discussions of stats, etc.
    I like how you played with the art class "trash".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if sports stops wars, but I'd be happy to try anything to stop them!

      Delete
  3. Well, first of all you guys on the other side of the Atlantic need to learn the real name of the game. And, yes, maybe it's "just" a game, but what's wrong with having a little fun—as you point out in the end. Football is far from inconsequential. It teaches you to become a team player, you get in shape and you have fun—at least some of us. :-) And maybe it's not even essential. So what! There is so most beauty in football. And, of course I understand and accept; not everybody has to enjoy or like or want to play football... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be fine with calling it football, but then what should we call that other game? Have fun with your sports. I'll find something else to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you should call this other sport. But as far as I can see, it doesn't involve much foot...

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. Tackle and concussion ball? Yeah, I probably shouldn't name sports.

      Delete
  5. Soccer was for boys, right, so when the we, high school girls, were allowed to play a game of soccer during PE it was endless fun. Mainly, I remember, because we were oblivious about the rules of the game. We were pretty rough, but that was part of the fun. (How can you NOT grab a ponytail?) I remember the PE teacher trying to sell the rules, but we weren't interested in rules, we were exclusively interested in, indeed, the completely meaningless fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm suddenly glad nobody pulled my ponytail in gym class and laughing at the picture you've painted in my mind. What about that teamwork Otto spoke of above? I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in the game :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. freefootballprediction if you see best soccer prediction site in world visit there and buying good tips.Thanks

    ReplyDelete