I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

"Family 3"

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday and miraculously lost 10 pounds eating cookies.  Now that I think of it, I didn't get a single cookie.  This seems like a serious oversight since I'm pretty sure fortune cookies don't count.

The view on the way into the National Gallery of Art
I went to Washington, DC to visit a friend.  I suggested going to the White House and protesting, but 45 Christmased in Florida and there didn't seem much point to making signs if he wasn't going to see them.  My friend and I went to the National Gallery of Art instead.  Great art.  I highly recommend going if you're ever in DC.  Even if you don't travel there, the museum has art lectures on youtube.  Look them up and learn stuff. 

I inquired where to find specific paintings I wanted to see and the nice lady made a point of telling me not to miss a little room with Vermeers in it.  I was distracted when she told me this and almost missed the significance of her recommendation.  I peeked around a corner and woo!  Vermeer!  Little gems that I really did need to see, and nobody else in the room to bother my intense examination of them.  Lovely.

David's Cupid and Psyche in Cleveland beats Napoleon any day!
I spent some happy time with Titian, Rubens, on and on and on.  My only disappointment was their only Jacques Louis David painting is of Napoleon.  I mean, it's really well painted, but who wants to look at Napoleon?  The Cleveland Museum of Art has Cupid and Psyche.  Cleveland wins!

The museum has a number of Rembrandts, but I'm kind of specific in my love of his work.  I was thrilled to see his self portrait.  Nothing I can show on the web can compare to standing in front of the reality.  Imagine my little heart going pitty pat at the texture and details.

Detail of Rembrandt's self portrait, but this doesn't do the original justice.
The paint is caked on and has a fabulous texture.
I don't think it's possible to fully appreciate the whole museum in one day so I'll have to go back sometime.  I got online to find these photos of paintings for this post and realize how many things I still need to see there.  It may take me a while to forget how much I hate driving in DC first though.  Once again, I got turned around and frantic driving on illogical freeways.  At one point I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic because they put the exit ramp on the left side.  Who does freeway planning?!!  I was busy hyperventilating after this driving feat and missed my next exit which led me in all sorts of other places I didn't want to go, and they charged me tolls for the privilege.

My friend had to work some of the days I visited so I worked on a new painting.  It was pleasant to have an art retreat for the holidays.  The image at the top is just a part of my latest piece.  I'm rethinking a big chunk of the rest of it and may end up painting over some of it.  I hate it when that happens, but it's my own fault for not starting with a better plan.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday doing what you like most with the people you like best.  Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, successful New Year!!!

15 comments:

  1. Planners in DC must have worked in New Jersey where to turn left you must start in the right lane, go through the intersection and use the “jug handle” to make three right turns. Still, better than driving in Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you're right. I wouldn't even try to drive in Manhattan. I survived DC and might even try driving there again someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great art retreat you had!
    I've never been to DC, but it's on my sort-of bucket list. I love Vermeer's "just everyday stuff". Glad you didn't miss them!
    Happy New Year, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you too! I hope you can cross off a bunch of things on your sort-of bucket list this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you had such a nice trip for the holidays! Happy New Year...G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Happy New Year and happy birthday to you!

      Delete
  6. paintings are beautiful...love the painting of lady.

    Happy 2020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2020 to you too Tanza! I'm glad you enjoyed the paintings :)

      Delete
  7. I bet your are still inspired from your museum visit. I rarely go to museums, but always study the artwork closely when I do. Hope you're off to a good start in 2020. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep having art flashbacks :) I hope you're off to a good start in 2020 too!

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had a wonderful day in the National Gallery of Art. Washington D.C. is a great place to visit.. so much history. We have been thinking about planning a trip there soon. Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you do get a chance to go to DC. You're right, there is so much history there. Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoying art in galleries and museums - for real so to speak - is quite something different than any reproductions on the web or even in books. The richness is almost always lost in any reproduction. As for exits on freeways, I have always wondered about those left sided exists, which I have only ever encountered in the States. Seems pretty weird and unnecessarily dangerous to me.

    ReplyDelete