I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, January 11, 2020

"Technology"

Hey, whaddaya know!  IF finally gave us "technology" for a new word and I just painted a computer mouse.  It's a sign 2020 is going to be an excellent blogging year, right?  Right?  Hope springs eternal.

Every January I look at my previous year of blog posts to remind myself of life's journey.  I've felt like I was very internally focused in 2019 but looking through my posts I did a lot of people things.  Volunteering at the food giveaway has been interesting.  I've been repeatedly annoyed IF forgets to give us new words on Fridays.  I worried about 45 starting a war with Iran last summer.  I participated in Inktober and took some trips.

My dog died last fall.  I still "see" her all the time, and I'm not ready for a new pup -- but I keep thinking about one.  Every time I see a dog I think about the breed's pros and cons.  I'm leaning towards finding a beagle mutt, maybe in the spring.  I'm not looking forward to house breaking, puppy feet on art projects, or furniture chewing.  I'm certain I've mentioned how much I like old dogs who understand how to share a peaceful coexistence.  Bro2 says my new dog will find me when we're both ready.  We'll see, and see what else happens this year.

I'm not much for New Year's resolutions, but I have some goals for the year.  I feel kind of superstitious talking about them like revealing your wish when blowing out the birthday candles.  Hopefully, good things will happen without too many bad things to balance the scales.  I tried to cut back on my caffeine and immediately abandoned that when I got a screaming headache.

I usually try to avoid talking about politics on this blog, but I don't know how successful I'll be at that this year.  The US presidential election will happen in November.  The current president is impeached and his trial in the Senate will probably happen soon.  How am I supposed to be quiet about that?  If he starts a war with Iran I'm pretty sure I'll have to say my piece about it.

It's January in Ohio and my neighbor's magnolia tree is budding.  I have my window open because it's 60F degrees outside.  In other words, I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking about climate change this year.  That's nothing new.  I've been thinking about the environment since I was a child and the Cuyahoga River caught fire, spawning Earth Day and motivating Nixon to create the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).  To this end, here's a video about the toll fashion takes out on the world by comedian Hasan Minhaj.  Currently, I extend my deepest sympathies to Australians and scorched koala bears.

The mouse above is from my latest painting.  I wasn't happy with the painting, but I didn't want to toss it out or repaint parts of it.  I finally came to terms with my artistic angst and revised the canvas.  I'm much happier.  I don't know why I fought myself so hard about it.  It took much more effort to fight myself about it than to actually make the revisions.  I'm still working on it, and will show you when it's finished, but I'm going to set it aside and work on something else for a while.

I hope 2020 is going great for you so far!

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Linda! It's fun to look back at your accomplishments. I'm thinking of the sad loss of your dog. I think your bro2 is correct.
    And just so you know... Inktober is doing weekly prompts starting this year: Inktober52. I'm already behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to switch to the Inktober site if Illustration Friday isn't more reliable. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda, Happy new year dear friend. I always enjoy your look back at the year, what great posts you write. I think this should be the year to get a new pup but I agree about not looking forward to the puppy training. You can never replace your pets but every single one I have ever owned keeps a place in my heart. I hope you can find one to nestle in yours. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane! I'm sure I'll let you know whenever the new pup finds me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Morton Salt Umbrella Girl put an immediate smile on my face!
    Isn't life crazy!? In 2018, could you have predicted what your 2019 summary would have been?
    Here's to 2020 and much needed progress!
    ps. Thanks for including the link to the Hasan Minhaj video. I listened to a pinch and hope I'll have time to come back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy whenever I can make someone else happy :) I was surprised by the Hasan Minhaj video. I didn't think I'd be interested in it but he raises a lot of important issues.

      Delete
  5. The year is already way underway. But I still wish you a good blogging year - and good in any other way.

    ReplyDelete