I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, July 4, 2015

"Sharp"




I took a road trip to Kentucky with my friend this week.  She got Baker's bourbon straight up.  It has a sharp taste, and I think my friend worried she’d melt her dental work.  I swapped her with my mixed drink, and I liked the straight bourbon so much that I got another.  I was pretty buzzed after that, but you know, ya gotta experience the local scene, and in KY, that means bourbon.  I also tried to cut up an apple and decided a plastic knife isn’t keen enough for the task -- which is really all I feel like saying about “sharp”.

On the way to KY we visited my old alma mater, Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD).  It’s been years since I visited, and things look entirely too clean and civilized.  It was a slum when I lived there, and it’s just not the same without the abandoned insane asylum (Deaf and Dumb Asylum). We used to get liquored up and test our nerves by roaming the derelict building.  Awesome fun, or maybe there’s just something in me that loves trespassing and exploring?

My house was to be demolished after I lived in it but someone has beautifully restored it
Party alley
Anyway, in current life, we went to my old house and I looked at the back alley where my classmates and I used to have wonderful drinking parties.  Good times!  I don’t think I burned off all of my brain cells in carousing, and I’ve kept lots of good memories.  I didn’t even bother taking a picture of the college.  They’ve added onto it, and since the bright pink Fashionetta got torn down, none of it looks the same really.

The 3 flags that matter in German Village -- America, Germany, and OSU
We abandoned the old times tour and had lunch at Schmidt’s in German Village to satisfy my Pennsylvania Dutch inner child. I had sauerbraten with spaetzels, sweet and sour red cabbage, green beans… mmmmm.  I showed a little restraint and refused the spectacular cream puffs.


So much for you people who blog your vacation photos of spectacular places in Europe!  I’ve seen Columbus and Louisville!!  Okay, maybe not exciting, but I did get out of my rut this week.

My puppy is helping with this painting by finger painting with puppy prints
This painting may not be very “sharp”, but it is what I’ve been working on.  Maybe the sharp points of negative space between bricks?  This painting is going take some time, so thought I’d show it in phases.

I sewed some canvas together to make it large enough to cover the floor to my dining room, stapling the edges to the floor and stretching the canvas to make it lay flat enough.  A very washy raw sienna base coat helped start things off.

The only real idea I started with is the brick circle.  This will be under the dining room table and is centered under the light fixture.  It’s a high traffic area from the kitchen, outside, and to other parts of the house so I made stone paths.  The dining room is open to the kitchen, so I carried the square tile of the kitchen floor to the background of the stone paths.

I like the idea of bringing in the outside nature, so I made leaf prints in the outside corners.  I’m going to lighten them up a lot in the future, which is going to take a ton of time, but this painting is my new hobby.  I’m planning on spending a lot of time thinking/meditating about stuff while I work on it.  I’ll give you another look when I get to a new phase.

13 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the next phase and slew of photos of you r ambles and rambles. Might be a wavelength we're both on, to rvamp inner spaces. I have created an indoor obstacle course as I spontaneously bought paint and tackled walls before dealing with stuff. And there is LOTS of stuff - from current work project to multiple items for an upcoming craft show to stacks of books and a jumble of things I haven't decided what to do with yet... Much joy and meditating as you r project develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck with your projects. My indoor obstacle course is pretty manageable since the dining room isn't one of the fullest rooms and I intend on taking my time with this. Maybe we'll both end up with better homes when the dust settles?

      Delete
  2. Oh fun - roadtrip! I bet your days at CCAD were bunches of fun. I sometimes fantasize about being young and in art school. Your painting looks like a fun project that's coming along nicely. How helpful of your pooch :)
    So, when you tried to cut an apple with a plastic knife, was that after the two bourbons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may have been after the bourbons :) Even so, I don't recommend plastic knives for apples!

      Delete
  3. Your floor painting looks great! I look forward to seeing the development of this piece. I'm glad you had a nice getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had a nice getaway too. Back to reality... sigh.

      Delete
  4. What a fun trip down memory lane Linda fuelled by a good drink. A great combination. Your inside art piece looks fascinating. ...I look forward to seeing its progress x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jane! Very little progress on the floor this week since I was off gallivanting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good stiff drink myself. Glad you had a fun outing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time, there Linda. Slums, drinking, asylums...Oh yeah. What the youngsters of today are missing out on! ;o) How cool to create a painted floor design- Very clever and looking sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I even brought a little bourbon home with me (thanks Korki!) and yeah, kids should get out and explore abandoned buildings... well, I'm not exactly sure that was safe or wise, but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete