I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Monday, November 11, 2019

"Brain 2"

I got a project this summer with a vague deadline of "Sometime before Christmas".  Great!  I even started the 4 paintings in the summer but I ran into an obstacle.  I needed to go back to a previous project and take photos so old and new paintings would go together.  But you know how it is.  There was always something better to do, more urgent projects, my growing resentment that these started paintings laid around my living room and nagged me to finish them

I procrastinated and started writing a blog post about motivation.  I saw the irony.  I abandoned the effort to motivate others and can happily report I finally finished the before Christmas paintings, but maybe some of the following points can help you motivate too.

1. Make yourself responsible.  For my project, I know I would've finished it sooner if I'd set a better deadline.  I could've told a friend about my procrastinating and requested a friendly nudge in a week.  Knowing myself, I'd get it done before my friend would have to nag me because that's only considerate.  I'd call and proclaim victory instead.  I could write a deadline on my calendar.  You may figure out a way that work better for you -- then do it.

2.  Show up and set a routine.  When I went to work every day I worked every day whether I felt like it or not.  Maybe I chatted with coworkers over a cup of tea first, but I'd buckle down at some point.  An object in motion stays in motion.  An object at rest stays at rest.  If you want to accomplish things, do something.  Even the masters had days when they were just grinding out the day's work.  The grind work pays off too.  You get better at it and it becomes less of an obstacle on future days.

3. Don't get ahead of yourself by thinking into the future or hoping for a masterpiece.  Every project starts by picking up a pencil, opening a file, or some other very easy action anyone can do.  In the case of my delayed project, I didn't want to work on it because I knew it would to take a lot of time to do.  I quit thinking about that and opened my reference photos.  I just did a bit of the task before me.  After that there was less to do and that was less intimidating.

I'm pretty sure all of us procrastinate from time to time.  The point is we need to find ways that help us do the things we want or have to do.  What do you tell yourself when you're dragging your heels on a project?  I'll be happy to learn more ways to kick myself in motion when I need it.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Linda I have really enjoyed catching up on your Brain posts. All so very true that if we don't use them we lose them. I agree that sometimes though if we are over challenge they do literally hurt. I write deadlines/things to remember in a day to page diary with tick boxes, I find it very satisfying ticking those boxes when done!. I like the way your brain works, seems pretty smart to me as is your great artwork xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! And I like ticking things off my to do list too :D

      Delete
  2. I have a Daily Planner for busy days. As Jane, I like ticking boxes and feel content at the end of a day.
    Perhaps you are more referring to the struggle setting up a new painting or drawing? Just this morning, I sat in front of a large white sheet of paper. The first lines are the most difficult ones. Once you are past them, you just have to keep going.
    Your brainy illustration shows no Gordian knots...good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! In this case I started the project but stalled on it. I was talking myself into starting it again, but seems like the same things hold true when looking at a blank canvas.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I certainly recognize myself in what you write. Not having a deadline is always the worst. So I totally agree with your inputs to deal with procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff, Linda. A lack of a real deadline is my downfall. Once there's a date on a calendar - yep - 1, 2, and 3.
    Nice brain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I keep a small calendar because a big one is more intimidating :)

      Delete
  5. Usually, with my art, my love for the project pulls me through. But not always. I love it when you're feeling stuck and magically get a whole lot of work done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read part 1 and part 3, here is part 2...
    Thank you for motivation tips

    ReplyDelete