I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, November 16, 2019

"Brain 3"

I guess IF wants us to keep talking about brains since our leader neglects his duties of choosing new words.  I'm not sure I want to keep talking about this though.  As I said recently, "Sometimes I'm sick and tired of being in my own brain!"  The woman I was talking with gave me an incredulous look.  I asked, "Don't you ever get sick of your own thoughts?"  Nope.  She never did.  It was my turn to look incredulous.  I can't conceive of such a thing.

Another woman told me she's had a blissed out, happy life.  No problems at all.  Perfect family, perfect husband, perfect kids.  I was certain she was deluding herself, but our mutual friend told me that it's true.  None of her people has gotten sick or died, she's always had plenty of money, never been seriously emotionally or physically hurt, and has succeeded at whatever she wanted to achieve.  How is this possible?!  I want her life.

Except in my heart of hearts, I doubt I really want her life.  Well, it would be helpful to have some of her money.  Otherwise, maybe I'd rather live in my own irritating brain?

I've had more than my share of bad experiences.  Sometimes I give myself pity parties.  Sometimes I see the positives I got from those experiences.  I'm sure I'm more sympathetic, empathetic, and interesting because of the life I've had.  I'd like an easy life like that happy woman with the perfect world, but I'm not sure I'd want to trade my intangible benefits I've gotten from living through stuff.

Or, more realistically, I've already lived through those things.  I can't give them back without getting a lobotomy.  The choice is to find positives in what I have and to find gratitude for those positives.

I'm sad this week because Rand MacIvor died.  He was one of my first followers when I started this blog.  I know some of you met Rand this way too.  I don't know how he found me, and I was surprised anybody would want to read things I had to say.  He encouraged me when I needed it.  We happily bashed politics together.  He was often silly and we traded jokes and stories of working as commercial artists in the old days.  I looked forward to his messages.

I can be critical of the virtual world we live in.  Young people are glued to their phones and tweet and repost stuff that doesn't matter.  At the same time, I valued my virtual Canadian friend.  The web gives us the chance to meet people across the world.  I think this is especially wonderful for artists who work alone and spend too much time in their own heads, and in Rand's case, even more important when he couldn't do art himself anymore. He was failing for a long time so his passing wasn't a complete surprise, but I feel the loss.

So when I think of the woman with the perfect life who has never lost anyone special to her?  Well, that's nice for her.  At the same time, I'm glad I got to know Rand.  I'm willing to have today's sadness because it's a sign we actually connected in a meaningful way.  And to all my other blog buddies, I value you too.  Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. So true, lost is an inevitable part of life and never going through losing somebody would probably feel strange, sterile and unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should've said the woman with the perfect life seems like a very nice person. I just can't see myself actually living in that strange and unreal reality :)

      Delete
  2. I was having a conversation recently, and it came to me that, if you haven't had your heart broken at least once, you're not participating in life.
    Sorry about losing Rand. I didn't know him, but glad you had him while you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My heart has been broken more times than I would've liked but it does seem like it's part of actually living a life.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this useful info..

    # Love this sentences: "I'm willing to have today's sadness because it's a sign we actually connected in a meaningful way."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Linda - Sometimes I get sick of my own thoughts; however, I don't want to be anyone else. I want to stay who I am but unload a couple problems I have.
    I'm workin' on it. :)
    But yeah, like you, I sometimes wonder how people are happy all the time, relatively speaking.
    I remember seeing Rand's comments. I don't know anyone with that name, so his name stood out. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying ourselves and unloading a few problems sounds like the ideal :) Thank for the condolences, and my own condolences go out to everyone else who knew Rand.

      Delete
  5. I don't believe in continuous and never-ending happiness. Like with all good things in life, they need contrasts to make them shine. Light needs shadow. Happiness needs sorrow to be deeply felt. Otherwise life becomes a flat, boring existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right Otto, but we can fantasize a little about never-ending happiness, right? :)

      Delete