I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, September 15, 2018

"Fear"

I looked up top 10 lists for fear and saw zombies.  Really?  How many zombies have you fended off recently?  How many spider or snake attacks?  Have you fallen off any tall buildings?  Did your plane go down?  Crazy people.  I'm kind of pleased that some of my fears about the environment and politicians have moved up on the list in the last year -- though quite displeased there are impelling reasons for those issues to move up the list.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to look at spiders either.  I just think it's unlikely one of them is going to kill me -- unlike my perfectly legitimate paranoia about ticks, which gets to the point of a lot of fears.  Ticks are foreign to me.  I'm afraid I don't know how to protect myself adequately.  The deer raiding my garden carry ticks, so it's a reasonable threat.  Ticks carry Lyme disease.  I don't want to catch that.  Kill deer.  Reverse climate change so ticks die in winter the way nature intended.  Vote all the climate change denying politicians out of office.

I'm willing to admit my tick paranoia might be a little overblown.  We don't have to kill all the deer, just the ones plaguing my neighborhood.  Give the deer birth control and napalm the places ticks lurk.  Maybe cull the herd and feed orphans venison.  I'm reasonable.  There might be a few action plans which I could buy into supporting.

The point is to actually look at our fears and figure out ways to address them.  Let's take fear of failure as an example.  If you're afraid to try something because you're afraid you'll fail, you've failed.  If you half-ass something because you're afraid, you've failed.  I understand dread of putting yourself fully into something and finding in the end that you didn't achieve what you wanted but that's the risks in achieving success.  You have to try or you certainly won't win.  Sometimes a failed effort leads to a better victory in something we didn't even know to look for before the attempt.

Okay, time for a smooth transition into ducks and fish...


Dark and gloomy lake full of ducks
The lake's spillway, which is the overflow for this human-made lake
I went to Pennsylvania this week.  It was dark and overcast.  Kids were in school.  To me, a perfect for a day trip to Linesville Spillway at Pymatuning Lake to look at carp.  This was my friend's idea.  I don't usually go out of my way to see carp, but apparently quite a few people do -- but not on my dark, overcast day.  You can see video of the reason why here.  That's a lot of fish.  They're really big too, like 3-4' long.


Close up of ugly carp mouth which was big enough to swallow your leg
We took country roads back to Ohio and stopped at the cheese factory where I bought a huge block of Swiss which I later broke up into smaller chunks and froze for later.  We ate lunch at the Amish restaurant and had comfort food.  We stopped at a produce stand where I bought pickling cukes and more.  I love this time of year for produce.  I was back home early enough to can plums, chop up peppers, and who knows what else.  It was a very nice day.  Who needs sunshine?  It just gives me migraines anyway.

I'm noticing that I like to paint apples lately, and each kind of apple has different meanings to me.  The apple above is a bit of my current painting, the part next to the post office box I showed you last week.  I've made progress on this piece and am starting to hope I'll be able to show you the finished painting soon.


6 comments:

  1. What a great trip you had Linda, wow those carps are huge. I have an irrational fear of snakes but spiders I genuinely really like! Us humans are odd aren't we. The painting is coming along really well, looking forward to the grand reveal xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I did like spiders but one of them bit me this summer and I'm feeling somewhat less kind towards them lately.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice getaway!
    I personally have no fear of zombies infiltrating. I do have a bit of fear of failure. My son reminded me that Inktober is coming!
    Nice apple. I wonder how many apples have been drawn or painted in all the art classes in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect we all have a bit of fear of failure. We just need to try anyway. Maybe we all have a thing for apples too? I always like to see what you do for Inktober :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, there are more important issues than zombies. But we also then forget that fears often don't have rational reasons. It makes it much harder to turn some fear around. But, yes - and unfortunately - the climate should be very high in that list of fears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got me wondering if all these fears start with a logical reason in some way? Maybe not, but the climate issue does have very rational reasons to be concerned. I'm glad I'm not alone in recognizing that.

    ReplyDelete