I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, November 30, 2018

"Fuzzy"

Bro2 got a Cavachon puppy.  I really should've taken a picture because he's extremely adorable even though he's so tiny it seems kind of silly to even call him a dog.  The cat towers over him and seems confused by ricocheting ball of energy flying around the house.  The picture below is somebody else's dog, but gives you an idea of general cuteness.

The original "owner" said she didn't want him anymore.  Bro had to take him for a bath and haircut before they could even go home together because the puppy's fur was so filthy and matted.  This makes me insane, but now the puppy is warm and fuzzy with his new butch haircut.  Bro even bought him a coat so he won't get cold on their walks.  They're going to be very happy together, so I guess all's well that ends well.  I was happy to visit and soak up puppy love and kisses.

I love puppies but I think my next dog might be an older animal.  Hopefully one who is already housebroken and doesn't chew on important things or walk through art projects.  Mostly I hope my ancient dog still has a few years in her.  I hope she likes playing with Bro's new puppy.  If not, she and the cat can cuddle in a corner and cast disapproving looks across the room until the little beast grows up and settles down.

I'd like to wax poetic about warm and fuzzy thoughts but my brain is jammed on the fact that I have a very hard deadline to meet.  I'll have to work through the weekend and my brain isn't helped by the fact that I'm having a hard time getting started on it.  The layout is approved, everything is set to go... and inertia.  I want to finish my latest painting instead.  My energy is pulled in opposing directions and nothing is getting done.  I hate that when that happens.

It will all work out.  I always meet deadlines.  It's just a question of how crazy I'll make myself before I get into a Zen state of productivity.  One of the things it took me a very long time to accept is that starting a project before my mind is on it is often pointless.  I blow time on "shortcuts" that take more time in the end as I laboriously fix things.  It's best to just do it right the first time.

This feels like a beginner's problem, but I suspect a lot of us do it.  We aren't machines.  We need to take time to cuddle fuzzy puppies, take a walk, or take a bath, or whatever it takes to blow off our procrastinating energies.  I guess the joy of maturity is knowing when we have a bit of time to waste and the confidence to know we can make up for that waste through experience?

You can think of it like Christmas shopping.  Some people have all their gifts in July.  Some by December 1.  Some wait until Christmas eve or even January.  The important thing is to know what you can live with and what others will accept -- and with that I'm feeling a whisper of positive deadline Zen...

I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season!

The last of my tomatoes from the garden!  Picked green to ripen inside,
this is the first time I've made them last until December.

9 comments:

  1. What a lucky puppy to have your dear Bro as his new owner Linda. A happy end to that story. I agree about avoiding the puppy/kittens stages but I wonder if that is when we really help them develop their personalities and forge the good traits? I know you will meet that deadline...tick toc...LOL. Enjoy your weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're both lucky to have ended up together. I wonder about developing their personalities as babies too, but it seems to me there are plenty of good older animals who need homes. I hope you have a good weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find your focus! Puppies could be quite distracting. Luckily, it's not yours. I laughed at what you said about the two older animals giving disapproving looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just one of the many ways puppies can give smiles! I found some focus, but still have a way to go to finish the project. I'll get there :)

      Delete
  4. I am definitely the one running around on Christmas eve. But I am not always procrastinating to the last minute, I just really dislike shopping with all my heart. I hope you got the work done in time. As for dogs or puppies, I have always wanted to have a dog, but I am too much away to be able to take care of one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankfully, Bro and I swap pet sitting when either of us is out of town. I think my dog sees it as her own vacation, but of course that was before the bouncy puppy. I'll meet my deadline, but then I said I always do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Holidays, Linda. Christmas preparations are slipping through my fingers. Talking deadlines! I hope to send Yule cards to friends but if you do not receive one, it is because this is our first Christmas back home in the Netherlands and Christmas just comes too soon after the move. Happy, happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy holidays to you too Paula! I hope you enjoy being home for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we enjoy being back home. A bit of a Reverse Culture Shock though. We haven't been cycling for almost 4 years and traffic has increased in our town. I feel constant fear of being knocked off my bicycle. It will pass..I know..hopefully by Christmas.

      Delete