I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, February 1, 2019

"Flying"

I laughed at dinner with a friend this week while recounting a trip I took to New York City.  I went on that trip with a coworker who told everyone at work about the "New York Linda".  I smiled and quietly went to my cubicle.  "There's a NY Linda?" another coworker asked incredulously.  I smirked behind the cubicle wall as I listened to my travel mate recount the tales of my exploits.

There was the marriage proposal from my Turkish taxi driver, the girl I adopted at the Broadway theater who ended up in the show, the fascinating conversation I had with the owner of Diebold, not to mention the even more fascinating conversation I had with the conservator of the Metropolitan Art Museum.  I got an entire bar singing show tunes in the middle of the day.  I had a blast throughout that trip.

I talked with anyone and everyone while I was in New York.  It made my coworker crazy, which is funny in itself since I'm the introvert and she's the one who usually charms people.  My coworkers had a hard time believing the tales because I barely interacted with people in that toxic environment.  I just put my head down and worked.

Conversation is becoming a lost art.  My cab driver didn't propose right away.  It was after I asked him about where he came from, what it was like, identified with him about spending time in the woods.  He told me about his mother and about being Muslim.  I listened and learned.  He shared, I shared.  We explored our similarities instead of our differences.  It was a long cab ride, but not quite long enough.

When I met the Diebold owner, I asked about his business.  He didn't seem enthused about it, or maybe he was just tired from a week of boring meetings.  I asked why he didn't retire?  He must have plenty of money to do other things he'd rather do.  He told me about his grandfather, or maybe his great-great-grandfather who made cash registers.  He lit up like a Christmas tree when he was talking about that, and I was enthused by his enthusiasm.  Who knew I'd be interested in cash registers and safes?

The art curator was my seatmate on the plane home -- which was parked on the runway for hours.  They were some of the shortest hours I've ever known.  I didn't have to search for a conversation topic with her.  Art?!!  Yay!  Tell me everything you know!!!

Maybe the greatest key to conversation is being open and curious?  Everyone has something to say, and we can learn something from them, even if when we don't agree with some of them.  I don't plan on converting to Islam to actually marry my cab driver, but my world view is greater and better for learning about it.  I think of the Diebold guy whenever I use an ATM.  There's a person behind the machine.

There's something incredibly freeing about flying somewhere where nobody knows me and I'm not expected to play the roles people have become accustomed to having me fill -- though there are precious people who completely understand my love of show tunes and aren't surprised I can get a bar full of mid-week businessmen to sing them with me...

"I gotta fly once, I gotta try once, only can die once, right, sir?
... Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade."
Don't Rain on My Parade, Bob Merril/Jule Styne

7 comments:

  1. Nice story. Linda, about exploring each others minds and beliefs, and the art of listening and having and keeping a conversation. I don't like flying, but I like being in new fresh places, like you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the actual flying part either, or at least the airport part of it, but those fresh, new places are the stuff for memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute illlustration, and so true. It's freeing to fly - literally and figuratively. NY Linda knows that :).
    Years ago, I worked at a company that made the little Diebold rollers that feed the bills from the ATMs. I think of those rollers every time I use one... since I never met the owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wish I could be the NY Linda all the time. If you ever do meet the Diebold owner I bet he'd love to hear about your old job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you had a great time in NY. Yes, it's liberating isn't it, to go places where nobody knows you or expect anything from you. Just being open to people on you way, it's amazing what you can learn about your fellow beings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see your pleasure in traveling through your photos Otto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the story and the small delicate plane flying towards...
    robert

    ReplyDelete