I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, June 15, 2019

"Muscles"


In elementary school, a couple of girls started to bully me.  Sis tattled at home that I was going to end up in a fight.  Dad said, "Don't fight.  But if you do fight, win!"  He brought home boxing gloves and taught my siblings and me the basics.  I got pretty good at it but didn't need those skills at school.  I resolved my issues with words and class solidarity.  The only fights I had were with my siblings, with or without boxing gloves.  I guess I got a lot of practice and some confidence.

I was in middle school when a bully slammed my face into a gym locker.  Maybe she thought it was funny, but I didn't.  When she ran past a couple of minutes later I stuck out my foot.  She did a spectacular trip and slide into a wall of lockers.  Here's a tip, don't tick off the class bully.

She had older, meaner friends.  They banded together to threaten me.  As a tall girl, I looked down at the tops of their heads while they hissed, "Your ass is grass, man!"  I wondered what does that even mean?  Why am I afraid of these midgets*?  But there were a bunch of them and only one of me, and they were all accomplished fighters.  Fear seemed logical. 

I endured a couple weeks of torment before Sis and her friend woke me up one morning.  This embarrassment had gone on long enough and they had arranged a one-on-one fight for me.  This sounded like a terrible idea.  They sang a ponderous Te Deum as they marched me to my execution.

I didn't really have a problem with my bully.  We always got along before.  Just call off your evil friends.  No.  She put up her fists and I noticed she had a giant, face smashing ring on her finger.  That hardly seemed fair.  Give me a sec to go home and get the brass knuckles.  No to that too.  I circled and feinted to avoid that ring but she punched and caught my earring with it, ripping it right out of my ear.  I watched my earring fly through the air and lost it, both the earring and my sanity.

I pummeled her until I was pulled off by Sis and her friend.  Their Te Deum was replaced by a victorious military march to the bus stop.  I almost felt sorry for my bully since she was crying and had 2 spectacular black eyes (which stayed black a long time).  I knew she was abused at home and that her cohorts were going to abuse her for losing the fight.

I achieved some respect in school.  Others were afraid of these girls up till then.  Good for me for winning.  Nobody at school bullied me again.  I felt more relieved than proud.  Fighting isn't something to feel proud about.  I've often thought Dad gave me the best advice.  Don't fight.  If you do, win!

Winning fights isn't all about who has more muscles.  Preparation, confidence, and strategy under fire often has a lot to do with it.  Bullies eventually lose when they underestimate their victims.  It's something I think about in these crazy times.  I keep wondering who had a father who taught them to box?

The drawing is from way back from my college anatomy class.  Good muscles for boxing :)

*Apologies to little people who may be offended by my use of this term.  I used it because it was literally the word I thought in those pre-politically correct sensitivity.

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely riveting story! Great ending too :) smart dad , you are lucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was lucky in some ways, less in others. He died before he could teach me how to be an adult. I've just been winging it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you are doing a good job :) practice makes almost perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad gave good advice. I'm glad you put an end to your bullying in such definitive fashion. But yes, it likely wasn't the first or last beating for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose that's often the case. It can be a sad world sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you sorted that out Linda. There's no excuse for bullying yet sadly even now it goes on. Your Dad gave you some very good advice I love the muscles drawing. Have a great week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's always going to go on, but maybe we can all get better at dealing with it? I hope you have a great week too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. School bullying is such raw experience. I wish that I was your school principle at that time; not to punish you or the bully, but the gang that set up you both. What a sick thing to do. Good story, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Paula! I don't think any of us thought about getting teachers or the principal involved at the time. I wonder if that would've made things better or worse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better I hope, but I understand times are different back then. Teacher now get training to sense, act upon and deal with bullying. I know of a school with a very strict anti-bully program. As soon it is clear there is bullying going on, the victim and parents of the victim are called to school to receive official apologies. The parents of the bully and the bully are also called to come to school. The bully will be told that if it happens again he or she will be send away (for good) and the parents get a warning that if they don't act on this, they soon will need to look for another school. Zero tolerance.
      A school that I have experience with called in experts and another school did nothing. Guess where the students scored highest on the happiness index.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad things are getting better. I like the school holding the bullies' parents responsible. Just that has got to bring about positive changes.

      Delete