I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, December 14, 2019

"Family"

I was told I died.  You'd think I would've noticed that, but my friend told me he had it on good authority.  I guess I should've asked when and how, and maybe most especially, who came up with this?!  It reminds me when I was a teenager and told Mike had died.  I was with the distraught family when Mike walked in after a weekend of carousing.  He was concerned to see his mom crying.  He put his hand on her shoulder and asked, "Who died?".  Scared her to death herself!  Everybody had a good laugh.  Turned out Mike's wallet had been stolen and the thief had it when he totaled his car.  I guess it wasn't a good ending for the thief, but was a happy relief for Mike's family and me.

My premature death notice was one of those things when you learn the world is smaller than we notice most of the time.  A friend of mine mentioned an acquaintance's name.  "I know him!  I was best friends with his sister when we were in school!"  I happily gossiped and mentioned other classmates from days gone by.  I salivated at the memory of Dave's mom's homemade apple strudel.  My friend repeated some of these names to Dave and eventually passed on my greetings for me.  That's when Dave said I was dead.  Our mutual friend assured him I looked alive last week.  I poked myself and said I was pretty sure that was still true.  I feel ripped off I didn't get a glowing obituary in the paper and condolence cards, though I feel kind of sorry if anyone actually grieved over my premature death.

I might be more fussed about Dave's belief in my non-existence if I hadn't lived through that time when it happened to Mike.  I saw Mike a few years ago and I know a mistaken obit isn't a harbinger of something to come.  Maybe Dave got me mixed up with someone else?  Maybe my ex still spreads lies about me?  Whatever.  Maybe I should have lunch at Kleifeld's Restaurant in Willoughby where I always see someone I know from the old days to prove I'm still here and still trying to make the most out of the time I have on the planet.

Sometimes I'm happy to be included in a large family and the hometown community.  Sometimes it makes me want to scream.  Really, people -- gossip about someone else!  Oh, but didn't I gossip a bit about Dave and others to my friend?  Oops.  Well, yeah, but, you know, public service announcements or something, as I mutter to myself about hypocrisy and try to think up a good rationalization to excuse myself.  I don't spill all the dirt I know about people at any rate.  That's got to count for something, right?  Um, yeah.  Glass houses.

None of this seems apropos to the holiday, but it is the current gossip.  I thought it was funnier than my non-successful trip to the store in search of gifts.  I walked out with a $1 desk calendar for myself and nothing else.  I hate shopping.  I don't know how all the rest of you manage this every year.  I think I'll be taking my own advice from last week and bake some presents.

I'll take suggestions.  What are your favorite sweets to receive?

11 comments:

  1. Well, I'm *pretty* sure you're not dead? Then again, you could be AI for all I know. That story with Mike is like something from a movie. I wonder if his family treated him very differently after he returned from the dead.
    My MIL sends us fruit and cheese from Pittman and Davis each christmas. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think things went back to normal pretty fast at Mike's house. He was a new adult and stretching his wings at the time. I didn't even consider fruit for gifting. I'll notice what we have leftover at the next food giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started think this sounded bad to gift leftover food. I meant to say I could make something with it that others would like. The gift is in the love and labor :)

      Delete
  3. Must have been a little absurd to have been told you were dead. I know we all are going to die eventually, but already? I guess, if somebody close thought I was dead, I would have proved otherwise. Else I am not sure I would care much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should pretend to haunt some people? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bake so much I don't really need sweets, but I do love Godiva chocolates. Last year my husband gave me two doughnuts for a birthday gift. Bah Humbug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL At least you know what to get your husband for his birthday!

      Delete
  6. I don't eat to many sweets anymore anymore since I am allergic to dairy. Lately, I have been baking non dairy desserts. I did buy myself a jelly doughnut for my birthday this year! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only meant to say one anymore! LOl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lot's of desserts that don't need dairy. It's a whole world of sweetness to explore!

      Delete