I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, March 8, 2020

"Dice"

I had to take "Color Concept" in college.  This was a mandatory, multi-year course on color theory designed by the college president.  It was incomprehensible.  To this day I have no idea what I was supposed to be learning other than humility since my roommate got consistent As in the course and even went back to the college to teach it.  I also learned Color-Aid sheets of color were persnickety sources of obscenities since they chipped easily when I cut them into 1" squares and they were permanently marred by rubber cement.  At least I didn't set myself on fire doing Color Concept homework like one of my classmates when her propane heater set her messy hands alight.  She survived, but I bet her pain made her hate the course even more than I did.  At least she got out of doing Color Concept homework while her injured paws healed after a midnight trip to the hospital.

I complained about all this to other classmates as we took a break from our never-ending homework.  My pals waxed enthusiastic about Color Concept.  One even brought out a color theory book he'd been studying in his own time.  The conversation devolved from there, definitely not helped by drinking heavily while they talked about stuff I couldn't wrap my mind around.  Yeah, I learned humility, but it still seems to me some people try to mystify others with their brilliance by spreading an impenetrable order on things.  Or maybe I just have a blind spot on the science of the subject?

That said, there are certain usual rules about color I do understand.  Red and green are opposites on the color wheel and stands for Christmas.  Two adjacent colors are often contrasted with their opposing color.  On and on and on.  If you paint a purple iris with green leaves, well, nature naturally gives us nice combinations.  Yellow and black wasps scream a warning about their stingers.  I think we all intuitively get the obvious rules.

Novice artists are often afraid of color (though some embrace it from the start).  Many doodle and sketch in pencil or pen to develop skills.  When they start dabbling in color they often dislike the messiness of it all.  They're timid in their approach.  They can make some unpleasant choices.  Push on!  Keep trying!  It will eventually start coming together, whether or not you take expensive and incomprehensible college courses on color theory.

Computers make a lot of this kind of thing so much easier these days.  Create something, change your mind, try different combinations.  Roll the dice and see what happens.  Yeah, that's a stretch for "dice", but contemplating dice made me think of color charts.  Hey, don't stifle my creativity!  It was this or chopping celery :)

8 comments:

  1. I love color! Now that I'm not painting I have to wear more of it to get my fix. Nature is the best way to see it. This morning I enjoyed the orange eyes of a juvenile night heron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up wearing colors too because I can be a sloppy painter sometimes :) It never occurred to me that a heron would have orange eyes. Cool!

      Delete
  2. It's funny Lynda I love colour as you well know but I have no formal art training. Mine was all discovered playing and looking around at Mother Nature! Your fab art has never suffered at all from you not getting the colour concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make beautiful things Jane, so maybe you're better off than if you'd taken the expensive, confusing course? I think observing and playing are the best ways to learn about color.

      Delete
  3. Multi-year course on color theory? Hmmm, who knew?
    Ever had to do one of those tests where you arrange cubes according to color? My middle son - the artistic one - apparently excelled at that. I wonder the relationship between color discernment at artistry. Regardless of your course struggles, I'd say you've got the subject down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have to take one of those tests, but I did just to see. I excelled at it, though I'll admit I'd be extremely disappointed if that wasn't a test made for me. Some people do great things with limited color or b/w. I know a excellent tattoo artist who is color blind. So no, I think artistry is more than color. I'm just a fan of color :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all need to take this corona virus seriously.. I believe that if more people listen to the authorities and stay home the spread could be less. Just stay safe and bring color into your home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would choose this from chopping celery any day as I avoid the latter as much as possible. Colour theory ought to be interesting for someone with artistic veins, so this Color Concept class must have been really bad.

    ReplyDelete