I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, December 19, 2014

"Home"


I wrote about my house last week.  Maybe I should’ve talked about it as “home”?  It’s definitely lived in.  I have great plans to clean it this weekend too.  I’ll see what actually gets done by Monday.

I don’t know if I think of my house as my home most of the time.  This is where I live and keep all my stuff.  Having lived here a long time, I do have memories of cooking holiday dinners for family, puppies piddling on my floors, my little brothers curled up on the couch watching Disney movies – back when they were actually little and still cuddled up to each other.

I had a deep need for a home when I was a young adult, maybe a deeper need than any of my peers.  I need a place that’s mine, a place to rest between my interactions with the world.  A friend of mine always wants to travel and views his apartment as a place to be in between trips.  We’re at opposite sides of a spectrum – but he relishes his trips to his sister’s house during holidays.  That gives him enough of a center.  We all need a safe place where we belong, even if it’s not our own place.

My grandparents provided that kind of oasis.  In a discussion with my siblings, all of us said we felt loved, and none of us claimed that we felt loved more than anyone else.  The kitchen always smelled of good things, and Grandpa gave us ice cream and Vernor’s.  The rules were clear and sane, and we were encouraged to play.

We played Rook at the dining room table in the evenings, which according to Wikipedia is a card game “played with a specialized deck of cards. Sometimes referred to as "Christian cards" or "missionary poker"… introduced by Parker Brothers in 1906 as an alternative for those in the Puritan tradition or Mennonite culture who considered face cards in a regular deck inappropriate because of their association with gambling and cartomancy."

Well, I learn new things every day.  It makes perfect sense though.  Grandma was from an area of Ohio with a lot of Amish and Mennonites.  Even though she wasn’t one of them, she was pretty straight-laced Christian, though not in any kind of irritating way.

Anyway, the quiet evenings of pleasant cards and tea is a part of my life, a place where I felt home.  The candy dish was always full, my uncle always had new projects to try, and the sheets on the bed were always crisp and soft.  The soap smelled of roses and the quiet rustle of fabric was loud in the quiet.  I can still hear Grandma laughing and Grandpa chuckling.

“Over the river and through the woods, to Gramma’s house we go!” And the long drive we took every month passed quickly enough because we knew the drive was worth it.

Whatever your beliefs, wherever you’re going during the holidays, I wish for you a place that you find special with people you love.  And if you can’t have these things this year, may you have memories that keep you warm.

Merry Christmas!

16 comments:

  1. And a very warm wish for a good holiday to you too, Linda. Your posts have been a happy part of my past year...thank you! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda. For your holiday wishes and for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for coming to my blog!! I would've given this up a long time ago if it weren't for getting the chance to meet such wonderful people. Here's hoping for a spectacular New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post and illustration, Linda! . My early New Year's resolution is to get back to my blog visiting. Yours will definitely be a regular stop. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually forget to say how much I like the art you post, Linda, (and this time was no exception) because I am always struck first by the heart-felt honesty in your words, and the similarity with the things I too struggle with. It's ironic that I find my 'kin' so far away, but I am grateful to have found them, nonetheless! Your painting here is a classic…it reminds me of Christmas at my grandparent's house in St. Louis, Missouri. Did you know that you can get high from sniffing the glue on those old Barbie doll knockoffs?? Me 'neither, but looking back now, that's definitely why I was feeling so strange… :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try to remember not to sniff dolls. Thanks for the comments! This art was rejected by a customer. Maybe it was too busy? I enjoyed making it and sometimes that's all that matters later on. I haven't been able to visit blogs as much as I'd like either, but 2015 will be a new year. Happy Merry!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the warmth in the memories and in the illustration. Your grandparents sound like beautiful people. Best wishes for the rest of 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating piece of family history Linda, I have never heard of Rook before. Your memories are full of love. I really love that piece of artwork...was it a card? Wishing you a very Merry Christmas in your home hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The art was supposed to be a gift box for cookies but it was another project that never happened. Sigh. It's a good example of keeping what gets rejected though because I've used parts of it in other things that did get printed. I was lucky to have such wonderful grandparents. May everyone be so lucky to have such special people in their lives, and may we all appreciate those people while we've got them. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones at home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Michele and a merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a warm post, just in time for the holidays! Have a wonderful Christmas, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too Mit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and all those things! I'm sorry not to have dropped in sooner. I know that your blog posts are usually long and I want to answer thoughtfully and I don't always have enough time so I put it off and then a month goes by. For goodness sake!

    Definitely we all need a place to call our own. I have no complaints about my childhood (though my parents fought a lot and maybe should have divorced sooner!) but when I left the house for college, I never had any interest in moving back to that home. Now I am lucky I live with a fine and adorable gentleman and it's been a few years and my things are definitely strewn throughout so it feels like home to me. :)

    That thing about the cards, who knew!? Kind of hilarious, really. I have thought about doing a deck of cards with animals. Maybe the Puritans wouldn't be offended by that? Or maybe they would. Because probably I would dress the animals in clothes and I suppose some people would see some kind of idolatry in that. Some people just want to find fault with things.

    I do hope everyone has people who are kind to them. In my forties, it is kindness I value most. The news from the world is so often depressing, but we can make our own little worlds a little better if we do our best to be kind, even to those who are less so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Cindy! You did make thoughtful comments, and I love it when people respond and make me think of new things. I love your idea to make cards with animals. I'm sure it would be a winner and very adorable. I can see them on a shelf in a bookstore. I'll work on trying to be kind to unkind people. Maybe that's a new goal for the new year? Wishing you every happiness in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the little thoughts that stands out to me is "rules that were sane and clear" (or clear and sane) which made me think back to what made MY grandmother's house feel like such a solid place to me. And now has me wonder just how clear and sane my rules are here. Hmmm. Always find food for thought in your posts. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete