I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, August 5, 2018

"Bumblebee"

I play computer games while thinking about how much I dislike lazy people, specifically my neighbor, pushing aside thoughts of the illustration I need to finish.  I give myself freedom to procrastinate while remembering more lazy people who don't do their fair share.  I try to whip myself into writing a blog post and play more computer games.

The neighbor issue is simple.  We had a storm.  Her tree came down in her yard.  The electric company cut up the tree (free!) so they could get their equipment in to free up the line.  Tree was piled on my lawn.  I glared at the pile for a week.  The neighbor sat on the front porch for days watching other people clean up after the storm.

The night before the city's last pick up of storm damage I dragged the pile to her tree lawn.  She came out when I had the last limb in my hand to spew negativity.  The neighbor 2 doors down (2DD) cuts her back yard.  I cut her side yard.  She does nothing and the world accommodates her.  I could go on, but you get the point.  People like this make my blood boil.  I have to cut her grass and move her tree or I'll have to look at it forever with elevated blood pressure.  It's easier to mow and move the pile.

Lazy people depend on people like me and 2DD.  Why should they do anything when they don't have to?  2DD says our hypocritical church lady has never said thank you or offered him $10 for gas for cutting her grass for years.  Come to think of it, she's never thanked me either.  She's entitled.  She doesn't care if other people are put out or that her weeds migrate to our yards.  I'm not even getting into the mess of her far back yard that has wrecked the drainage for the rest of us and is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

This is all recreational bitching over what is a recurring but insignificant inconvenience with occasional peaks of irritation which provide bonding moments with 2DD.  The greater point is that I'd like to think of people as a hive of bees, each doing what they're supposed to do for the benefit of the hive.  What do bees do when they have a lazy member?  I bet they just get on with the work that needs to be done.  I wonder if they get irritated about it too?

Sometimes I think I should keep bees, and then I discovered I'm already keeping bees since a bumblebee is living under my front step.  I suspect that if there's 1 there's probably more.  I don't know if I should be bothered by this or not?  (Please advise if you know best actions.)  The brick steps are attached to the front of the house, not really part of it.  Bumblebees pollinate the flowers and garden.  I feel only mild concern for the mail man since bumble bees are pretty mild, but I'd hate to be responsible if he got stung.

Are you lazy or a busy bee?  What do you do when you have to do the work of someone who won't do their bit?

7 comments:

  1. People like your neighbour make my blood boil too Linda..how ungrateful! However you are a very good neighbour and you should feel the better for it. I'm not sure about the bees, they are so essential to our gardens but not quite from under you front step! Over here there are bee societies who will gratefully come and collect a colony for free..but I'm not sure how accessible the nest might be from under your step? Good luck with sorting this out xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of bee societies. I don't know if there are any around me or not, but it gives me something to research. Thanks for the suggestion. As for next door, I told 2DD that I'll do what's necessary, but that doesn't mean I have to do it with a good attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you can't pick your neighbors :/.
    This post got me wondering if there are such thing as lazy bees? I'd assumed they all do their jobs equally like the good bee of your drawing, but ya never know! Hopefully the good workers have their 2DD friends to bond with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the drones are the lazy ones? The others kick them out of the hive once the queen is pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy bee speaking here. I often do what other should do because I am impatient. I practise compassion, like; 'Let me do it because I have time and I can do it'. Having said this, having a super lazy neighbour would concern me. On the other hand, it is much better than having an aggressive neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you're right, an aggressive neighbor is worse. She's quiet too, so maybe I'll just count my blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately there are plenty of entitled people in this world. These days I am fortunate enough to not have to do work that lazy people should have done themselves, mostly at least. But I don't know what I am, busy bee or lazy dog. Mostly the former, but sometimes I can't myself going before the bells have tolled at least twice.

    ReplyDelete