I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, August 10, 2018

"Rainbow"

I've changed themes.  My first series was to think out issues in my work history.  I've moved onto romance.  This is basically a portrait through symbols.  Like the first series, all of the images are specific to me, and I made the painting for my own reasons, but now that it's done I'm curious what other people think of it.  Bro2 walked in my house the other day and burst out laughing at Darth Vader.

It would portray "rainbow" better if all the Trivial Pursuits wedges were in it, but that wasn't the point.  And maybe it would be more rainbow-like if it weren't so black, but obviously wasn't the point either.  It has all the rainbow colors and a prism, so it counts.

All of these paintings have a pretty limited palette.  Two hues each of red, yellow, green, blue, and brown.  One hue each of black, white, orange, and metallic gold.  I could do it with less if I had to, but I don't see a point in making life harder.  The quality of the acrylic paints are both expensive and cheap.  My favorite brush cost $1.  I had to break open a new one for this painting because I wore out a couple on the last series.

I met a friend for lunch and took the painting with me.  I propped it on the wall of our booth and we talked about it and other things.  The waitress came and went quite a few times before she asked why we had Darth Vader.  My friend told her I had painted it.

"Wow!  I can't paint a straight line.  I don't have any talent (imagine much more along these lines...), but this is great!  It's like as good as you can buy at Hobby Lobby!

I give my friend credit.  She didn't burst into laughter until we left the restaurant.  For those of you who don't know about Hobby Lobby, it's a store that sells really cheap arts and crafts stuff and fought against women's access to contraceptives because of the owner's Southern Baptist religious beliefs.  They were also fined $3,000,000 for smuggling religious artifacts from Iraq and Caesarea and ordered to return the items.  I won't shop at this store no matter how cheap their stuff is.

While I bemoan the fact that too many people are like the waitress and don't get the difference between a Chinese printed image on sale for $9.99 and a real painting, I do appreciate the compliment.  I'll probably always remember it (and laugh).

This incident reminds me of another time with another woman whom I had shown a painting.  I asked her how much she thought I should charge for it.  She said $20.  I asked her how much she earned per hour and how many hours did she think I'd put in the painting?  Didn't matter.  "I can buy a real print by a famous artist from the store for $20.  I was giving you a compliment!"

Thanks.  I appreciate compliments, I really do.  I'd like some money too.

But for all that, I haven't been painting these for the money (though I'd sell them if anyone gave me a good enough offer).  They are visual reminders and meditations of lessons I've learned.  I feel lighter every time I finish one.  I'm going to keep making them and looking for the rainbows within.

To give you a sense of the scale of this 16" x 20" painting, that stamp is smaller
than the USPS stamp of Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World"

10 comments:

  1. LOL about the Hobby Lobby comment! Interesting and cool that you feel lighter every time you finish a painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waitress had no idea she'd be spreading smiles around :) I bet a lot of people could feel lighter if they explored their issues creatively?

      Delete
  2. How funny Linda...but in her own way she was complementing you! I'm glad your art is so helpful to your well being...it's part of your soul. Have a mellow weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take her comments in the spirit intended and appreciate them. I just wish public schools taught a little bit about valuing the financial value of living artists' work, but you're right, art is part of my soul and I'll keep making it. I'm sure you will too. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  3. I know. Smart people can seem so stupid when it comes to art and artists. I just had a friend inquire about illustrations for a children's book, and when I said it would be expensive (code for: she would have to pay me) she never even responded. I could go on and on about people that expected me to do art for free or almost free. I love the Vader mask!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I've had similar experiences with authors of children's books. They don't seem to get that it can take more to illustrate it than to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, well the intent of the comment was complimentary, so I'd go with it!
    Thanks for pointing out the prism. Your paintings are like fun "I Spy" adventures - that's a compliment btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A funny compliment, but I did take it as sincere :) Thanks for your compliment too. Sometimes the paintings are like "I Spy" for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's interesting how many people perceive art. Some, like the waitress, don't know the difference between real paintings and cheap prints. As I guess was the case with other woman. Why pay more if it's the same anyway... I guess one needs to appreciate real art to be willing to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it's good for these women that they can decorate their walls inexpensively, but I still wish more people appreciated art enough to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete