I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Monday, March 25, 2019

"Dungeon"

I used to manage a billionaire's estate.  You can see photos and read about it here.  There was a dungeon in the bell tower basement with a real executioner's sword.  There was even a skeleton.  It was plastic, but the billionaire and I laughed about it.  I didn't laugh about the sword.  It gave me the creeps.  The beautifully etched designs on the blade were worn where it had hacked off heads.  Ew.

Once again IF gave the Friday word on Monday so I don't feel very cooperative about writing more about dungeons.  Let's consider it my not so silent protest.

I've been exploring my teenaged brain lately.  What a mess!  Maybe all teenaged brains are, but I'm pretty sure mine was more messed up than most.  I grew up, mostly got my act together, and pushed the teenage years into a hidden corner of my mind.  I hid it so effectively that's it's been a challenge to excavate it.

Of course you might ask, why bother?  So glad you asked.  Because ignoring the past doesn't make it go away.  Its lurking influence effects my life in subversive ways I can't identify because I hid things so thoroughly from myself.  I think that's true for many of us, though I suspect most are content enough not to bother figuring this stuff out.

I talk with a high school friend sometimes.  We walk down memory lane and each of us is surprised by the things the other remembers of our lives back when, especially the bad stuff.  I call her my "Truth Teller" because she calls things as she sees them.  We play a very important role for each other because we can verify each other's lives.

Maybe you're still lucky enough to have all your friends and family.  I haven't been so lucky.  I've lost a lot of people and part of my life seems to disappear with each death.  Part of these people disappears every time someone else dies who knew my people and knew my life the way it used to be.

In a way, writing about my missing people is a way to keep them alive in a different form.  They aren't forgotten.  The impact they had on my life lives on through me and the others whom they touched when they were alive.  I can only hope I've had some positive impact on others and someone will remember me when I'm gone.

Examining my teenaged life isn't about the happy memories though.  It's about hard times and bad decisions.  It's remembering people who had both light and dark sides, or some who only had dark sides.  Hiding from those realities is like locking a part of myself in a dungeon.  I am who I am today because of who I used to be and who I used to know.

It's a quest.  I want to live my life with every element in it, without editing things into what I wish it was.  I want to celebrate other people in their entirety too.  In the end, we don't love perfect people.  Learning from our bad decisions and accepting our flaws make us infinitely more interesting and loveable in the end.

14 comments:

  1. "Illustration Monday" doesn't quite ring with me either...
    I have a few friends on FB from the high school years. Sometimes, I think they get too lost in the past, reliving their glory days and ignoring the present. We all make mistakes/ have regrets. You're right, how boring would we be otherwise?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, my teenaged years weren't my "glory days", but I get what you mean. It's great that guy got a touchdown, but what's he done since? Talks with my old friend have a lot more to do with those times we messed up -- and we laugh and laugh at how stupid we were :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have friends from way back Linda, as you say you can remember those times together. Every teenager has good and bad memories...that's all part of growing up and making choices. I must admit it's not a time I would ever want to revisit..I am much happier at this time of my life. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You couldn't pay me enough to be a teenager again. I'm much happier now too. Yay for getting older and learning from all those earlier mistakes! Hugs back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I had good teenage years, I still wouldn't like to go back. The teenage brain, as is lately discovered, is in a stage of rewiring and that causes stress, no matter being happy or unhappy. Maybe you should do a post on the best age. It must be that moment when your body is still fit and your brain only released wise thoughts, thanks to ageing. Perhaps 60 or even 75?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best years are different for people. I told someone my 40s were better than my 30s and she said her life was exactly the opposite. Sometimes I see an old person who looks so blissed out it makes old age look like the happiest since they aren't worried about stupid stuff anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that perfect age will be different for people. But I think we will all agree on the happier we raise children, the happier and more resilience they have later on in life.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree and hope for happy, resilient children too.

      Delete
  7. You are so right, ignoring the past doesn't make it go away. We need to incorporate it into what we are today, and accept. Learning to accept who we are, indeed, both the positive and negative sides. I am sure most teenagers struggle. I know I did, and I see my kids did. Struggle is a way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Struggle is a good way to remember the lessons we learn too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The Billionaire's Blade" sounds like a great book title!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great title. I'll look forward to reading what you can write about it :)

    ReplyDelete