I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Saturday, March 2, 2019

"Fashion"

I sat at a rest stop in West Virginia thinking about the word for the week.  A man with a bushy beard, camouflage hat, and a plaid shirt walked by.  I thought, "Yeah, that's American fashion!"  I'd like to act superior and everything, but I had on a t-shirt with pajama bottoms, both of which probably had paint on them.  Hey, I drive in comfort.

And what a drive it was!  I went from Cleveland to Gainesville, Florida.  I'm pretty sure that's roughly equivalent to Scandinavia to South Africa.  It was 23F on the day I left with gusts of gale force winds.  Brrr.

I drove up and down and around mountains, even through mountains before arriving at Sis1's house in South Carolina.  I left my coat in the car to look at flowers in their yard.  Bro-in-law took us for a drive to look at houses, farms, and a historical site commemorating the Revolutionary War.  We went to dinner where I told our waitress that I'd like "anything but okra!"  You guessed it, she brought me okra.  I tasted it, rejected it, gave it to Sis who actually likes the stuff.

The next day's drive was supposed to be shorter than day 1.  There was a huge accident in Georgia where I parked my car on the freeway and got out to talk with my fellow travelers.  I decided to consider it a cultural exchange since there wasn't much else I could do about it.  A friend back home called and said she got snow.  I laughed.  Even being stuck on a Georgia freeway was better than more snow.

Prickly Pears
Oranges

There are lots of little lizards but they're as camera shy as my friends
I got to Florida eventually, hugged my friends, and was extremely glad to stop driving.  We spent some lovely days together.  One of those days was spent watching the Michael Cohen hearing.  I know, it doesn't sound like a vacation kind of thing to do, but it's what we all wanted to do.  Shared interests make for great friends.  I took breaks to photograph lizards and smelled flowers while enjoying the sunny, balmy weather.

Some of these old houses are used as B&Bs now


Someone actually lives in this jungle since they put their recyclables on the curb

Just to show Americans are friendlier than those in DC would have you believe.
This is the sign in front of the jungle house.
Gainesville is nice because you can walk to everything.  The streets are mostly shady with big trees dripping with Spanish Moss.  Many of the houses are very pretty.  There's lots of parks, flowers, art galleries, restaurants, shops.  It's a university town so there's young people with a feeling of energy around.  Another of my snowbird friends drove from Venice, FL to visit with us too.

Spanish Moss hanging from trees
You'll notice I haven't included any people photos since they act so camera shy.  I meant to take pics at Sis', but I forgot.  I was too wrapped up in the conversations I guess and it felt like time was short in SC.  I reminded myself to look for photo ops in FL, but I got distracted by squirrels and things.  To be perfectly honest, I think I was just glorying in the balmy weather.  I didn't even care when it rained.

Then I had to drive home.  The predicted "light rain" was a monsoon in SC.  I ended up parked on the freeway again because a whole string of cars slammed into each other.  I hoped that was it, but no, I was repeatedly parked in North Carolina too.  I eventually stopped for the night in Mt. Airy, the "big town" Andy Griffith used to go to near Mayberry.  I had the best fried chicken for dinner, and okra wasn't on the menu.
Southern monument -- who thought we needed to laud road construction guys?!
But I hit some rough roads and guess I do appreciate them.

Last day, I crept through the twisty, windy mountains with my hands tightly gripped on the steering wheel because the world was a solid gray of fog.  I really hated mountains and driving by then, but eventually I made it back to Ohio where the sky was blue, the snow had melted, and 34F didn't feel so bad.  Kinda miss Florida though.

10 comments:

  1. I liked reading your about your journey. And I liked reading that including sign that embraces people of different nationalities, or just other religions, languages or whatever. We are all united in wanting a safe society in which we and the next generations feel safe and can bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! I think most people are pretty friendly wherever you go. We should all smile at each other and play nice. I wish the politicians reflected that attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the whole point, isn't it? Politicians aren't inspired by Nelson Mandela or by the Dalai Lama any more. They go for polarisation and rudeness, for shameless racism and intolerance. It is thanks to the 'Stay Calm & Be Kind' people that we limit the damage and wait for new politeness and inspiring role models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to believe that living our best lives and being models for better behavior encourage others to do the same, or at least embarrasses the people who don't behave well. I'm glad I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a drive. And I like you attitude on the road. Not sure I have the same patience (well I know to be honest). But Scandinavia to South Africa? Maybe you should take a look at your globus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible I may have exaggerated a little, but it felt like it was that far!

      Delete
  6. Happy(?) trails! That's a long road trip, glad you had a good time with friends and family and made it home safely.
    That's an interesting camo pattern. Plaid camo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to take a picture of the guy with the beard but I felt fairly certain he wouldn't like that and was probably armed. Seemed safer to make plaid camo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to read your story with beautiful series of photos.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tanza. I hope you have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete