I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, May 26, 2019

"Breakfast"


Mom firmly believed children needed to eat breakfast.  I firmly believed breakfast should be anything but oatmeal.  I think you can see this was heading to conflict.  I mean sure, oatmeal is great in cookies.  It's a wonderful crunchy, sweet topping for apple crisp.  Dumping it in water and cooking it to a gluey goo is unacceptable.

I know, some of you actually like oatmeal porridge.  I don't see how you can feel that way, but I'll accept your right to your preferences.  Mom did not accept my oatmeal feelings.  "You aren't going to school until you finish it!"  Maybe this kind of pronouncement would've made other kids happy, but I actually wanted to go to school.

I had a number of oatmeal removal tactics.  I filled my napkin with it and flushed it down the toilet.  If Mom left the room long enough I'd flush the whole bowlful of it.  Mom started catching onto this so I had to find other methods.  My favorite was to sit quietly while Sis2 loudly and insistently complained while shoveling oatmeal in her mouth.  I covertly shoveled my oatmeal into Sis' bowl when she wasn't looking.  If breakfast is important for achievement in school, Sis must've been twice as smart on oatmeal days.

For some reason neither Sis nor Mom thinks this story is as funny as I think it is.  Sis feels it's my fault she's over her lifetime limit of oatmeal.

Years later, I honeymooned at a cute B&B.  The proprietor proudly brought us oatmeal for my first day of married life.  You've got to be kidding.  I asked for anything else but he said that was his specialty.  Really, don't you have toast or an egg or something?  Nope, that's all he had.  I should've taken it as a sign to get a quick annulment as I watched in disgust the newly minted husband scarf down both of our portions.  There were other signs the marriage was a bad idea, but the oatmeal should've made it clear.  Oh well, live and learn.  It was probably some kind of oatmeal karma , Sis payback thing.

For another breakfast story you can go here.  Grandma, blueberry waffles, food is love kind of happiness.  It's hard to believe I've been blogging for 9 years!  I was certain I'd run out of stories by now.  I may take a break next week, but I'm not sure yet.  What I do know is that I have activities, dogs, and relatives next weekend.  Should be interesting.  Maybe more stories will come from all of it?

My dog is blissfully unaware of next weekend's chaos or the fact that she's going to get a bath and her nails clipped to be all pretty for the other pups.  If she only knew what was coming she'd start punishing me now because I'm pretty sure she remembers the last time we dogsat.  Her world was disrupted and she didn't like it.  She's an old lady who wants a peaceful retirement.  She hardly even bothers to bark at kids and squirrels anymore.  Old dogs are so easy.

I really intended to do different art for this post but I got lost in other things.  I suddenly realized I better do something quick so I let the computer help me cut some corners this time.  I recently did some actual art that would've been perfect for breakfast but the client doesn't want me to show that yet.  Maybe we'll get another food word soon?

Wishing everyone a happy week and weekend, with a thank you to the vets this Memorial Day!

8 comments:

  1. My mom made us oatmeal every school day morning when I was a kid. "It sticks to your ribs". I usually have oatmeal for breakfast at home - Mom's influence no doubt - but better have something else offered at a B&B! I laughed out loud at your honeymoon oatmeal omen!
    Nice illustration. Congratulations on 9 years blogging! Enjoy your busy week, I hope the dog rolls with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an expensive B&B too! Who needs things sticking to your ribs on a honeymoon? I still haven't told my dog what's coming. Hoping for the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am total agreement with you, cooking oatmeal to a gluey goo, is all about killing the joy of food. I would certainly think twice if my wife to be, would happily be gulping that stuff... Can't believe that's all you got at that B&B. Surely not about catering for their guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about writing a bad review of the place but never got around to it. Maybe this post is their karma coming back to them? :)

      Delete
  4. This is a terrific post. Very funny.
    By the way, I love oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't see why Mom and Sis don't share our sense of humor :D

      Delete
  5. I like Abby mother's 'It sticks to your ribs'. Nice storytelling, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Paula! Dad said it "put hair on your chest". He never had a good answer when I asked why I'd want a hairy chest.

    ReplyDelete