I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Friday, May 3, 2019

"Transportation"

We finally got a new word!  Wipe 3 weeks from the last lateness tally and hope for future Friday reliability.  Let me briefly shift my irritation to Ohio politicians who passed a $100/year fee for hybrids (electric cars $200) because roads are financed with a gas tax.  I spend about $100/year in gas to give you an idea of how harsh this is.  I suspect the main reason for this tax is fuel-efficient cars are driven by Earth-friendly Democrats.  Grrr.

It's one of those days when the last thing I want to blog about is what's heaviest on my mind.  I notice my burdened brain keeps saying negative things.  Even positive things come out negatively.  Nobody wants to read a depressing post so I keep deleting and starting over -- but maybe negative words is the thing to talk about?

I had a boss who was horrible in so many ways she was called in front of the state board of ethics committee.  Even so, she actually taught me something, which goes to show you can learn from anyone.  She told me to only use positive words.  I was standardizing signs for the park system and thought her directive was impossible to achieve.  "Danger!  Don't lean on the fence" is straightforward.  Everyone understands it, but I wasn't allowed to use words like danger, don't, no, not, etc.  You try it.  What words would you use?*

Some people have the knack for this.  They're perpetually sunny and decorate in pinks and yellows.  They get on my nerves after a while, but they're kind of nice to have around too.  It beats being around people who decorate in black anyway.

It took time to get my mind around positive words, especially when I was around the horrible boss.  I kept thinking she was just making my life unnecessarily hard and words are only words.  I grumbled she only used positive words to manipulate people.  I kept tinkering with my signs and eventually managed to solve the positivity Rubik's cube.  I started making an effort to change the way I speak.  They're only words, but words can make a difference.  Thinking in positives makes for a better life.

I had a later job where I worked with very nice women.  When they talked about TV programs of the night before, they remarked how pretty someone looked, how nice someone seemed to be, how talented, how smart, how wonderful!  I'll admit I looked at these pleasant women with some suspicion at first.  I was used to women sniping at the TV women.  "Can you believe she wore that!"

One of the nice women told me she used to be like that because she grew up with a mother who was depressed and nasty.  The whole family talked in negatives and this nice woman spoke like her mom until she caught herself at it.  She was dismayed and decided to change her ways and spread good around instead.  She said it took her quite a while to master, and now she's a ray of sunshine in the world.  Her positive approach is echoed by others.  We need more people like this.  It's a skill we can all learn and use.

As for my burdened mind, I'll try to think more optimistically.  For those of you who pray, please include Chris in your thoughts.



The model train art is Ad #2 of Mensa's membership renewal campaign.

*Answer:  "Please stay on trail"

8 comments:

  1. I've fallen behind in keeping up with IF, so the unchanging prompt was my excuse!
    I like this positive word "challenge", and am going to enact it. I remember reading an article that concluded that being around people who complained a lot was bad for our brains. I try to stay away from whiners and not be one myself! Stay on the path, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need an excuse, but okay :) I agree with the article you read. Complainers are bad for our brains. Let's all stay on the path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only like double negatives, turning positive: 'I do not dislike your very skilful painting'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Thanks for the chuckle at your double negatives too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your solution! Although, they need more signs to warn dumb people against stupid selfies on cliffs. Great new Mensa art. The power of being positive! I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Maybe I should've mentioned people shouldn't lean on the fence because it was at the top of an unstable cliff? Too many leaned on the fence to take in the wider panoramic view. My sign must've worked since nobody died there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think words are only words, not if we mean anything we express with them. But I know what you say that being around people who shines all the time can get on the nerves. But I am working on that. Positive is positive. Because, as you say, we need more positive people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I should've said that words don't mean anything when they aren't backed up by corresponding attitude and actions. I agree with you that positive is positive :)

    ReplyDelete