I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Monday, May 25, 2020

#inktober52, #inktober, "Robot"

Bill Mumy used to buzz past my house very regularly in a very beat up VW bug.  He honked, he waved, I smiled and waved back.  My sister growled and slammed doors.  I thought Bill was romantic and determined.  Sis thought he was a long-haired, gangly, teenaged pest.  Oh well, teenagers do what teenagers do and apparently Bill and Sis weren't meant for a happily ever after together.  He got married in 1986 so I'm pretty sure he got over his unrequited love, or maybe it was just teenaged lust.  It's just one of those episodes of childhood that invariably makes me laugh.  I'm pretty sure Sis still gets irritated at the thought of it.

Years before this teenaged stalking, Sis sat on the floor with me in front of the TV and happily watched Bill as Will in "Lost in Space".  It was an admittedly lame show that was cheaply produced and inexplicably entertaining.  There was friendly robot who exclaimed, "Warning, warning, Will Robinson!" before they were attacked by aliens and everything got resolved in 20 minutes or so.  Wasn't even bad TV better when we were kids?

I think about today's robots taking away people's jobs and all the current uncertainties and think I could spend the day watching Lost in Space on youtube.  I'm not sure this is the best use of my life, but it would be a pleasant diversion since nobody has asked me to a Memorial Day picnic, not that I would go this year even if I were invited.  Whatever you're doing this year, please do it safely.

I've moved on from my ditch digging and started attacking my house.  I sat back in my easy chair and noticed the ceiling looked kind of dingy.  I spent a day washing it.  It's sparkly white again and I'm sore again.  I sat back in my easy chair and noticed piles of projects that never got finished (or started).  I moved my project materials to their proper homes.  On and on and I'm not finished thinking about other labor-intensive things I could do.  I think I'm just taking out my frustrations on my surroundings, but also getting some exercise.  Things look better so I feel better.

I'm never going to go full Marie Kondo or anything, but I have been asking myself why I have so much stuff.  I listened to a radio program this week which posed the questions, "Are you holding onto things because you're holding onto your past?  Are you ready to make space for new things to come into your life?"  Hmm...  I think I'm ready for something new.  Clearing space sounds like an excellent idea.  Maybe I'll paint the living room walls too.  On and on and on, there's no end to the stuff I could do.

Of course we haul our past around with us whether or not we keep reminders of it.  The only thing it took for me to remember Bill Mumy buzzing by my house was the word "Robot".  I don't need to keep every gift I received from every person I've cared about to remember them.  I used to, even gifts I wasn't all that crazy about in the first place.  It felt disloyal to throw them away.  I've gotten over that.  Mostly?

Anyway, I've got to get back to my projects.  Now that the ceiling looks great I've noticed the windows need washed.

Bill was adorable, wasn't he?  He kind of looked like Sis' son.
Maybe she should've returned his affections :)

11 comments:

  1. Never watched the show you are talking about.. I take it that the ditch digging is all done.. on to a new one. Good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll probably mess with the ditch throughout the summer to clean up some odds and ends, but yes, mostly done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never watched any version of "Lost in Space", but how fun that Will stalked your sis :)
    Yes, there are always projects to be had and things to sort. I think robots will never be as creative as humans, but never say never?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true, never say never, but I hope humans will stay more creative than the robots. I appreciate my computer but don't want it to rule my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything about Robot and watching science fiction movies when I was teenagers...exciting.

    Nice to read your "story."

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tanza. I like sci-fi too. I hope you have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Land of the lost. Star trek, etc. They would be impossible to watch now. Books are like that too. I used to love simple romance as a teen. Now, it would be like reading the back of a medicine bottle. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found simple romances on my shelf and agree with your opinion of them! Maybe we're getting too old and jaded for them? :)

      Delete
  8. I can remember watching Lost in Space as a kid and thinking it was great! You're right, even lame shows were better back then. A simpler, more innocent time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is a never-ending project. Or projects. There is always something that needs to be done. So congratulations with the shining ceiling.

    ReplyDelete