I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Sunday, May 3, 2020

#inktober52, "Train"

I used to go to a meditation group once a week.  Our leader turned down the lights and in her soothing voice told us to imagine a beautiful field of wildflowers.  I internally griped, "Why is it always a meadow?", but I complied.  I imagined pretty flowers.  Eventually, we progressed out of the meadow and my grouchy thoughts of sunburn and I found a calm in myself.  I suppose my grouchiness and fears of sunburn were a metaphor for the crap I carried in my head most days.  I got a lot of positives from meditating and our group became good friends.

The place we met was right next to train tracks.  We all giggled the first time a train went by during our meditation and rattled the windows.  Our patient leader gently suggested we could put all our problems on the train and listen to those problems being carried away.  This happened many times.  I dutifully put my cares on the trains.  I can't see or hear a train anymore without smiling and feeling my blood pressure drop.

Meditation comes in many forms.  What I've described above is a guided meditation.  Sometimes I sit at the river and watch the water go by until I find inner peace.  Art and ditch digging can be meditations.  Sometimes I just pay attention to my breathing (which is probably healthy for everyone in Covid-19 days).  Some people focus on thinking of nothing (something I find absolutely impossible).  Some people do yoga or walk.  Whatever works.  I don't think there's one right way to go about it.

For myself, I start out by checking in with myself.  How stressed am I in the moment?  I give myself a numerical grade.  A good day is a 10 or less.  Often, my score is 5,000.  I start counting backwards, sometimes jumping down 100 points at a time until I can feel the stress leaving my body and my breath evening out.  I notice places where I'm sore or tight and concentrate on relaxing those areas.

I often think of meditation as an awake dream.  I get myself relaxed enough to see where my brain will go.  Like a night dream, answers to issues can be seen through a different light.  Sometimes the answers are so obvious I wonder why I didn't see them in the first place, but I doubt I'm the only one who tells myself what I'm feeling instead of actually feeling my feelings.

For example, I go about my day and think about the things I'm doing.  Everything's fine, so why do I feel so stressed?  After calming myself I can see that I'm worried about the state of the world and individuals I care about.  In my regular thoughts, I tell myself I can't do anything about those things so quit thinking about them.  In my meditative mind, I honor these feelings.  It isn't an issue of fixing situations, it's finding my place in them.  Maybe I can't help someone with health issues or a drug problem, but I can go to my food giveaway and feed other drug addicts and elderly people.  I feel good to do that.  Those are people who want the help.  I feel more peaceful which is better for everybody because being wound like a spring about problems I can't solve just makes me testy to be around.

Yes, I have shown you this train before, but having had to paint it twice for this painting it only seems fair to post it twice.  You can see the whole painting here.  I've done more Barbie paintings but haven't seen any appropriate words to show them off yet.

I can hear trains at my house.  They're carrying away my problems.  How do you meditate?

11 comments:

  1. I used to take yoga on a regular basis but now they can't do it anymore. All of their classes now are on zoom.. I haven't been doing that.One of the instructors has been doing her meditations on instagram and facebook, I have recorded them and listen while when I need to just relax. We are need to find what makes us feel at peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May we all find peace. I'm sure you'll find you way back to your regular yoga practice eventually.

      Delete
  2. I have many times tried to meditate by sitting down and empty my thoughts. But it doesn't work for me, even trying to follow my breathing is hard enough. The best meditation for me is hiking in mother nature, the more strenuous, the better and the more my thoughts focus on the here and now, and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nature is always the best healer. Happy trails Otto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right that meditation brings positive things to our body.

    I am doing simple meditation every day, just several minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Several minutes can be a wonderful thing :)

      Delete
  5. I wish I meditated. I have a lot of mental baggage that I'd like to load onto a train. I guess i funnel a lot into my writing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that writing can be a different kind of meditation -- and your writing can be something that helps others with a trainload of baggage too!

      Delete
  6. Yes Linda, why is it always a meadow? Meadows, for me, conjure up allergy attacks. I prefer gazing at the stars.
    Trains can be meditative. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm stuck at a crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stuck on the sunburn of meadows, but now I'll think of allergies too :)

      Delete