I’m a creative, experienced, multi-purpose artist and art director
who can take projects start to finish in a variety of styles.

Good designs sell –
my designs sell out!

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

"History" "Ancient" #inktober and #inktober2019

The other day a friend called and asked for help raking leaves.  I warned him I was in shorts and he joked about my marble legs seeing daylight, asking what kind of columns my legs were.  I promptly replied, "Doric".  He laughed and said, "I thought so!"  I laughed because he understood my answer even though he didn't suffer through 4 years of art history classes in college.  Ah yes, nerd humor.

Every year I look on with interest at other people's submissions for Inktober.  I keep meaning to do something for it, and then, well...  Okay, I procrastinate and make excuses.  Yesterday, I found a pen on my desk I kind of like.  IF was days late with the weekly word, I saw the Inktober list, and the universe collided into actual action.  I'll sum up my expensive college understanding of Greek columns for both IF's "History" and Inktober's "Ancient".

The first "order" is Doric.  This is the simplest style with a square on top of the column.

The second order is Ionic.  This style is recognized by the big scrolls at the top.

The third order is Corinthian.  This is the fanciest style with leaves and other decoration.

Really, do you need to know any more than that about Greek architecture?  Yeah, you can learn more about their buildings, but I think this is all I've needed to keep in my long-term memory.  These styles were taken by the Romans and many other cultures.  The US uses them extensively in government buildings as a way to harken back to the first efforts at democracy with the hope for the timelessness and solidity of that ancient realm.

Part of me really wants to write about current political events in the US.  Another part of myself is screaming at myself to shut up about it.  Just let things play out and hope for the best.  Maybe the only real answer is to let a little of this leak out in this post?

We're living in history right now.  The president will be impeached.  That's a foregone conclusion because the House of Representatives has the numbers and intention to do it.  Then the matter will go to the Senate who has the duty to decide whether or not to evict the president from the White House.  The Senate is ruled by the president's party, so actually firing him is probably unlikely, but it could happen depending on what comes up during the trial.  I feel like I'm reliving my childhood during Nixon's impeachment.  I can't stop watching today's news just like I obsessively watched it back then.  I'm really tired of reality TV and wish for a calmer political climate.

I'm also very taken by Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teenager who passionately spoke to the United Nations about climate change.  She's right about it all.  The world leaders bicker about stupid stuff and don't seem to actually do the things they need to do to protect our world.  This too is our living history.  If something doesn't change I don't know if there will be anyone left to read about it in the future.  I wish her success in her mission and hope.

I don't know if I'll be diligent with more Inktober drawings.  I'll give it a try.  People of all levels of ability participate.  If you'd like to play, go to the site here.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the history lesson. The only one that I had an inkling about was the Corinthian.
    And politics... what a friggin’ mess! And I’ll leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying to leave the politics at that, but like I said, it keeps leaking into my thinking. Somehow ancient columns seemed more positive :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed my column lesson Lynda, great to learn something new! Hmmmm if you want talk politics we have the joy of Brexit...or not! I just turn off the TV. Happy October xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I can't seem to unplug the news I do get regular info about Brexit. It's kind of the comic relief for Americans because it's nice to know we aren't the only ones playing in the mud :D Seriously, I hope you get a reasonable solution to that situation that makes most people happy enough.

      Delete
  3. Funny about the nerd humor. Thanks for the quick lesson on Greek columns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time! I'm glad I'm not the only one to laugh at nerd jokes :)

      Delete
  4. Jeopardy is on in the background. I hear "What is Doric and Ionic?" Too bad I didn't hear the question. Maybe I would have been able to answer it!
    Of course, I thought of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Whatever I can do to help with Jeopardy.

      Delete
  5. great history....thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, There is so much to reflect on. I knew the columns as well, thanks to history lessons. I recently drew a Corinthian column filled with these wonderful Acanthus leaves. After that I continued with Acanthus leaves because they are endless fun. In fact, they are visible in my profile 'photo'.
    About politics....I hope decency will return back to world politics. I hope that the era of demagogues will soon be over...and never to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of your drawing when I was putting this post together :) As for politics, it just keeps getting worse -- but I keep hoping this is just the dark before the dawn.

      Delete
  7. We are indeed living in history right now. Hopefully we will come out on top of both accounts you are mentioning. Unfortunately, I don't feel certain about it. Can only hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel certain about coming out on top in these things either, but I'm hoping with you!

      Delete
  8. I couldn't locate your contact information, please write me at books@imbrifex.com regarding a project or two.

    ReplyDelete